Schoutedeni - RIP

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 200 litre - waiting for a schoutedeni
Location (country): UK

Schoutedeni - RIP

Post by lilacamy931 »

Thank you for all the advice, I've not found him for several days...he has gone over the rainbow bridge. Tried everything for the little one and appreciate the 3 years I had him. My other puffkin is going strong thankfully as is the rest of the tank, but right now feeling sad

So my little guy has always been a picky eater and due to recent emergencies within the family the puffs have been getting more ready made food (frozen cockles and bloodworm).

I've now been able to pay them more attention and my little guy is skinny and he has nashers on him.

He has got little fangs, i've been netting him, giving him snail and sometimes crushing it to enable him to eat and build weight. The other is a blimp so having to net to stop any harrassment and ensure fangs is getting the food and hopefully wearing them down again.

Has anyone had long teeth on a schoutedeni and do I need to attempt clipping them (he is tiny...)

On top of water changes. PH 7 / Ammonia 0 / Nitrites 0 / Nitrates 10.
55g with 5 cories, 6 tetras, 3 bristlenoses
set up 2 years, fishless cycle.
Water change every two weeks, bringing this to more regular.
Two weeks ago added more fake plants to break up line of sight as bare spots in tank.

Hoping pics work - im not the best at this
https://imgur.com/a/AmDnMhA
Last edited by lilacamy931 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Schoutedeni teeth

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer

Post by lilacamy931 »

I treated them when I first got them 2 years ago. Worth treating again for sure, off to the library to find the stuff in UK

Thanks for links on dentistry, will I have to now or treat IPs, feeding only shelled and hope they can still be worn down?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Once the teeth are overgrown, you need to clip them.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer

Post by lilacamy931 »

Sorry its been a while - hadn't realised didn't update.

Managed to trim puffs teeth and treated tank with similar items of Pima/Melafix shortly after and all seemed well.

He has gone thin again, I can't see anything wrong with the teeth so time to spot feed him and deworm.

Being UK - only thing can find is Kusuro wormer plus. Hopefully this is ok in a tank with bristlenoses and gold lasers and tetras.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

That wormer should be OK but you MUST treat his food. FW fish do not drink water.

lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer

Post by lilacamy931 »

Thanks for the tip, no worries, will make easier to spot feed - thank you as always
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer

Post by lilacamy931 »

Yeah I don't know what else to do with this guy, he just will not put weight on. He gets skinny super quick. I have tried several doses of treatment since last post and now. Both soaking the food (prawn and bloodworm) and in a moment of desperation dosing the tank.

All other occupants are healthy and on on the podge side, its just him that is a head with fins.

His teeth are fine since the clipping, he has appetite, he eats until belly full and still begs like all puffs do. He is a more finicky eater so only really wants bloodworm and snails.

I'm regularly buying ramshorns as they just don't breed and grow fast enough. I am spot feeding with tweezers to ensure he gets food, so much so i think he's becoming dependent on it.

At a loss what else I can do? If any other suggestions let me know, otherwise will continue to care for him as long as he is with me.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Re: Schoutedeni - RIP

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sorry I just saw this! RIP???
Have you only been treating with 1 med? Some worms are immune to 1 & need to be treated with a different anti-paracitic.