Does my Amazon puffer look sick?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Three Amazon puffers (Colomesus asellus):
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United States

Does my Amazon puffer look sick?

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Hi, puffer people! I’m new to the forum, and have an urgent question about an Amazon puffer (South American, Bumblebee, etc.).
I’ve owned many dwarf puffers in the past and once got two amazons, but have lost them to internal parasites (one DOA, the other in a week). I cannot seem to battle the inevitability of parasites, even with the utmost care.
I went to the LFS on Sunday, who had a large stock of healthy and active puffers, all roughly 2-3 inches. Having done enough research to know the ins and outs of these guys, I decided to give it a go, and purchased one. I introduced her to my well-established community/semi-aggressive tank, and she immediately took a home towards the bottom.
Unfortunately, after a few days, she doesn’t seem to be acting as convivially as I know these species should. Though active, she has trouble against the filter’s current.
She does act curious, but never eats, even when I’ve isolated her with the food. I’ve tried bloodworms and snails, but they became food for the other fish.
The tank was cleaned today, and she seemed to perk up, but not for long.
She is in a 60 gallon aquarium, with various tetras, tiger barbs, silver dollars, corys, a bristlenose pleco, an opal gourami, a rainbow shark, a cobalt blue crayfish, rainbowfish, giant danios, and a juvenile Bala (I know, I know!). They all are very well established and interactive. A recent addition was two kribs, who I just discovered had a whole brood of fry!
The problem is that although the fish tend to keep to themselves, the gourami and danios relentlessly bite at the puffer’s cadual fin! The bigger problem is that the puffer just lets them nip at him!
I recently noticed him becoming skinnier, and his stomach has black veins all over. He seems to be losing his striking yellow and black bands, too!
I’ll try to post a picture soon. I seem to be noticing this early, but need to know how to eliminate the possible parasites.
Please give any suggestions and advice — I do not want to lose him to parasites the way I have with others!
Sorry for the lengthy post. Just wanted to give as much information as possible!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Does my Amazon puffer look sick?

Post by Pufferpunk »

the gourami and danios relentlessly bite at the puffer’s caudal fin!
I think you already answer your own question. These sweet puffers (as most puffers) do not do well in a community tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

I do agree with that. She seems more active when the other fish are asleep. I will try to get her into her own tank soon. However, as far as her seeming sick goes, I have no clue. She doesn’t look like she has IPs, but certainly acts like it. I’ll try to post a picture soon. I have been worried about her with the other fish or a while, and have been planning another aquarium for the puffer.
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

F6547BF6-7406-466D-86B5-16F4F19C1197.jpeg
F48125FF-8E9A-43DF-9A68-D1E79CA0811D.jpeg
52A1BCBC-3B44-4F3F-BD29-9B1D6A354625.jpeg
5F423C95-53B2-4439-9B49-F00036606079.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

That poor tail definitely looks inflamed! Possible bacterial infection. You could start by adding Melafix to the tank but I'd get him on his own, ASAP. They do prefer to live in groups though.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

I completely agree! I would have gotten more, but these guys were on the expensive side. They all looked healthy and active in the store, so I think she's stressed from the lack of other puffers. I am going to use Melafix, but in her own enclosure, as the medicine often kills gouramis and other labyrinth fish. I'm putting in a tank divider for now, because I don't have a cycling tank yet, and want to do everything right.
I certainly hope a divider will help her eating problems. I've attempted separating her in a breeder net for eating, but it only stressed her more. If she still isn't eating when alone and becomes worse, I'll try the garlic juice method, unless there are better methods out there?
Thanks for your help! I'll be sure to keep you up to date with everything! Hopefully she perks up!
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Update: She has made a home where the breeding kribs are, and seems to be the only fish they don’t chase away. They get along great. The only problem — she won’t eat a bloodworm if it hit her in the head (literally!) Same goes for snails! As she glass surfs, she bumps into a snail, inspects it, and moves on. It seems as though the stress clock is ticking, and it’s ticking fast!
Last edited by SAPpyPuffer on Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Try crushing the snail. I had to put mine in a breeding net with the snails.

SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Will do! Thanks a lot for the tips!
I’ll try to nurture her back to health. I’ll keep you posted on how she does. Thankfully, she fights against the current and filter, so I know she is still a strong swimmer. Not sure if there are IPs yet, but it seems more like a stress issue.
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Update: Even away from harassment, and with the bloodworms, she is getting worse. The black marks on her belly and lack of color are really showing, and there is inflammation by the anal fin. She doesn’t even care about the worms, even when it is right in front of her, and all she does is lethargically stay towards the top. I do not want to lose her, but based on past experiences, this feels inevitable.
Please help!!!
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

0149C424-A782-4ED2-A595-B7DEBE69238C.jpeg
3B5EDC81-B4C9-4296-9228-F526CC03A21A.jpeg
3361A9B3-8B1C-4DAA-8E55-7EA9010A4F53.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It is possible she is too far gone from the stress, which has compromised her immune system. You could post here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/220024505125640/

SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Thanks for the advice! I'm not confident she'll make it. I've been worried sick about her, and it seems as though separation isn't doing anything...
I had all the information for the puffer's care, but the stress factor never crossed my mind...
Last edited by SAPpyPuffer on Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Sadly, I woke up this morning to have found her dead. I only wish I had taken more care before the other fish attacked her. Even having her for just a week, the tank seemed to have become even more lively and fun with a puffer.

RIP Irma the Amazon pufferfish... :cry: