Puffer damage, regrowth?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
drankdripline
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Four South American Puffaroonies
Location (country): United States

Puffer damage, regrowth?

Post by drankdripline »

Hello,

I have been reading these forums for a little while and finally decided to ask the question.

My Green Spotted Puffer, Gimpy, is so named because of the manner of which I acquired him. Almost 6 months ago, I went to my lfs and saw two puffers, one was Ocellated the other was GSP. The GSP was clearly unhealthy and was quite infected with Ich and Finrot. I bought the Ocellated. Well, I went back the next day because the GSP was so damn cute and I knew he wouldnt be treated so I figured I was the lil guys best shot.

After bringing him home [for half off] I treated the hell out of him -his infection had nearly reached his gills- with serious salt dips and baths, along with natural remedy suggested by the store. Within a week, he was the healthiest fish in the tank, the most active and hungry. He seemed fine, no sign of the disease... but there was one thing. It had taken his right fin. He was happy and funny and quirky and lovesss his food and swims like crazy, he is just a little bit gimpy due to the one fin problem. Needless to say, that is how he got his name.

The question therefore is whether or not his fin will ever grow back, it has been half a year since he'd lost it, and I can see minimal -if any- growth of the fin. It was almost all destroyed so I am not sure what will happen, maybe you do?

Also, he has not grown much and always has these little black stress marks as of the past few months. He is in a full-marine tank -as of the past month- at 79 degrees, with two damsels and two small clownfish, in a highly filtered 29G.

Thanks lots!
drankdripline
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Four South American Puffaroonies
Location (country): United States

Re: Puffer damage, regrowth?

Post by drankdripline »

bump!