Fat, Air Trapped or Ok?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 200 litre - waiting for a schoutedeni
Location (country): UK

Fat, Air Trapped or Ok?

Post by lilacamy931 »

So the puffs have been great and fantastic, noticed after the last couple of weeks one getting bigger in length and width. Also even after starve days getting his podge on. He is the better feeder and hunter out of the two - picking off the cherry shrimps in there.

So these pics are taken as of now, they have not been fed today, they were fed yesterday and not day before. Do I need to worry?

My "normal" puffer

The fat or air trapped or obese puff?

Water parameters all as expected (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates now 20 after new test kit).
2 schoutedenis, 4 starlight plecs and couple of male guppies.
Change 50% water weekly. Dose daily carbon and weekly ferts. Feeding variety of usual foods for puffs and at least 1 starve day a week though upping this to 2 per week.
Tank been up since Nov 2017, fishless cycled in the end after false start.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fat, Air Trapped or Ok?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Looks OK to me!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Marcosnut
Puffer Fry
Location (country): london

Post by Marcosnut »

I'm like you do i Can you introduce me I do not want to be in the water like this.
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 200 litre - waiting for a schoutedeni
Location (country): UK

Post by lilacamy931 »

@Pufferpunk - thank you for that. He just seem's to be pot bellied the whole time and the other skinny and not growing as much. I'm a silly worry puffmum.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Post by astrid37 »

One of my two schoutedeni also looks like your pudgier one. Relieved to know that our two roly-polys are ok! Thanks for posting this question!