Pea puffer dying

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
nwnwnwnw4
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Pea puffer dying

Post by nwnwnwnw4 »

Pea puffer has been lethargic for over a week now. It used to be more inquisitive and fatter. It doesn't eat anymore. Tried flakes, dried blood worms, and dried shrimp. It doesn't eat the snails which is why we added them in the first place. We noticed spike in ammonia about six days ago. We've been doing more frequent water changes since.

What should I be focusing on? Keep doing water changes? Is there something else I"m missing? Do I need to break out the clove oil before it starves to death?

Thanks for any input.

Stats:
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0.25 to 0.5 ppm
Nitrate and Nitrite: 0 ppm
Tank size 10 gal
Other friends: one zebra danio, one neon tetra, one yoyo loach, ~ten snails (food)
Doing 20% water changes every two weeks. now almost everyday because of the ammonia
Addtives: ph buffer and seachem prime for the new water during changes
Changes in last week: added the snails.
Tank setup about 2.5 months ago. zebra danio and neon tetra were used to cycle the tank. the neon tetra has since past away but danio is still going strong.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Pea puffer dying

Post by Pufferpunk »

Why are yo buffering the pH? You need to stop that. Fish do not "read" pH & by adding buffer it is swinging back & forth, causing stress to the puffer.

50% weekly water changes are always recommended. How was this tank cycled? The fact that you show ammonia & nitrate, means it's not. I'd do another WC & add Tetra Safestart to the filter.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"