Very sick mbu.

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Wookie24
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United kingdom

Very sick mbu.

Post by Wookie24 »

Hi all First time posting just gutted it’s about my sick mbu.

I’m at a loss as to what to do. I have a 22 inch mbu he’s currently in an 8ft x3ft deep x2ft aquarium.

In December I took him to the vets to have his teeth trimmed this was as a precaution as my wife and I were off on our honeymoon for a month. He hasn’t been 100% since

I sent the tank up on a drip system which filters through HMA and nitrate filter before entering the tank. This worked well when I was away coming home with perameters of 0-0-10 which it always was as I have 10ppm nitrates in my tapwater.

My old man fed him while we were away and said he wasn’t his usual self at feeding time. We put this down to alternate feeding times due to the old man having to travel to get here every day.

Last week he went back to sitting in the corner of the tank and eating when and if he wanted too he’s done this a few time over the 3 years we’ve had him so I didn’t think much of it. However 2 days ago he started to constantly swim around the tank at times just bumping into the glass I did a big water change which didn’t make too much difference and he has since gone off his food. This morning he was still swimming about however now he is led on the bottom of the tank on one side. I can now see he has developed a lump behind his fin on one side of his body.

Tank perameters as always are 0-0-10 ph is 7.5. I have turned off the drip system for now as this morning he was swimming as if he was showing signs of ammonia posioning and will just do normal water changes instead. As I know the ammonia is 0 I thought maybe the hma filter wasn’t doing the job it should be.

With the lump now I’m thinking maybe something different obviously internal. But he’s shown no signs of internal parasites.

I will try and upload some pictures but it is very strange how he’s gone down hill so quickly.

I am currently doing a big water change just to make sure it’s nothing in the water but my gut is saying internal. If anyone has any ideas I’d be greatful really don’t want to loose this dude. He’s an amazingly placid guy for a mbu.

All other tank mates are fine at present.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Very sick mbu.

Post by Pufferpunk »

You say he hasn't been the same since the dentistry? Have you asked the vet to tell you what he used to tranq the fish & how long he had been out? Could be brain damage. :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
john132
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Austria

Post by john132 »

I can now see he has developed a lump behind his fin on one side of his body.
With the lump now I’m thinking maybe something different obviously internal. But he’s shown no signs of internal parasites.
your story sounds really similar to mine, I posted the same thing just 5 days ago hereviewtopic.php?f=3&t=36775

My MBU was belly up and had a lump on his right side behind his fin. So I started treating with Epsom Salt and Flubendanzole.
He is now much much better.

Do you have a microscope? You could check for nematodes.
Wookie24
Puffer Fry

Post by Wookie24 »

I don’t have a microscope no. I did read your post and thought it was similar. I did go to my local Lfs earlier although they didn’t want to speculate on the lump I did show them photos I’d taken where I’d notice red veins on the anal fin and tail. Currently treating for bacterial infection because of this if no improvement tomorrow I will look at treating for internal parasite.
john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

what kind of antibiotic do you use? I couldn't find a good one at my lfs. Some medications contain copper and scaleless fish like puffers are quite sensitive too it.
Is the lump on the right side or left?
Maybe you could upload the pics and someone here can have look at it.
Wookie24
Puffer Fry

Post by Wookie24 »

I used acriflavin was recommend by the lfs who used it on there mbu in store. It’s a koi treatment but the mbu reacted to it better than melafix.

The lump is on his left hand.

https://ibb.co/nsja5n
https://ibb.co/jwo2kn
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Poor guy! Is he always laying on his side? Is it possible he swallowed some air?
Melafix is only an "antiseptic" & does not cure disease. It will help if used in unison with meds & will enhance healing. It is only for light issues, like tears in the fins, etc.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Wookie24
Puffer Fry

Post by Wookie24 »

Hi pufferpunk. Thanks for the reply. He’s still hanging on in there. He’s not look good tho he’s still on his side he has been for about 24hours now. He does attempt to swim however he’s very disorinatntaed and bumps into the glass a lot.

Last hour he’s spent a lot of time near the surface of the tank ranther than at the bottom. His breathing still seems ok. However all his fins now have red veins and his tail has some small lumps that have appeared.

The lump feels hard to touch didn’t want to push on it hard tho just in case hard to see when he would have take in air from unless he went after the airstone.

See picture if anal fin and tail below.

Anti bacterial treatment has been in the tank for 24)874: now and I would say he’s been about the same all day gone down hill a little in the last hour.

https://ibb.co/bKzegS
https://ibb.co/jppO87

If anyone has any further ideas I’d be greatful.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

That fin doesn't look bad. When he's near the surface, is he also on his back?

john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

I know acriflavin. If I remember correctly it only treats external issues (?) but not sure, have to check. That stuff stains like crazy. Wear gloves :)
Is it possible he swallowed some air?
How would you treat that if that's the case?

the tail and fins look okay to me. My puffer had this veins when he was healthy.
john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

I would get some epsom salt or known as magnesium sulfate if possible. You can get it at any pharmacy for around 2 Euros or 3 pounds.
Has anti-inflammatory properties and is a mild laxative.
Wookie24
Puffer Fry

Post by Wookie24 »

he is on he side at the top aswell

The fin picture was taken yesterday and he only had veining on his anal fin and tail yesterday. All his fins seem to be reder today and veins showing. I can’t get a good picture tho.

https://ibb.co/i7zFo7
https://ibb.co/emNoan
Wookie24
Puffer Fry

Post by Wookie24 »

Can see how much his fins have turned red this has happened in the last few hours. He’s finally taken a rest from trying to swim to get a picture.

https://ibb.co/jiPWT7
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I am inclined to think he may have swallowed some air. Are you treating for antibiotics for the fins?

Wookie24
Puffer Fry

Post by Wookie24 »

I am currently treating with antibiotics for the fins. Is there anything I can do if it is air. How would he even take the air on?