MBU Puffer belly up

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
john132
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Austria

MBU Puffer belly up

Post by john132 »

Hello guys,
this is my first post here. Been in the hobby for over 10 years now. Keeping freshwater and reef tanks.
Unfortunately my MBU puffer got sick and I need some advice. 3 days ago he was belly up when I came home after a long trip. I asked my neighbor to look after my aquarium (not blaming him). :roll:
I assume he got some sort of internal parasite. I already looked at it through a microscope and looks like nematodes. Not sure what kind.
Anyway... started a hospital tank and started to treat him. Epsom salt for excretion and Flubendazole for internal parasites and deworming, seems to be working. He has regained his balance and is not upside down anymore.
He still has a little firm lump on his right side. I assume the nematodes have caused some internal inflammation in this area.

What kind of antibiotic can I use?

Does anybody know what kind of worms they are? Need to find out their life cycle for effective treatment :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: MBU Puffer belly up

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Are the nematodes under his skin or also in his poop? Have you treated his food?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

hello Pufferpunk,
that is his poop. His skin seems to be fine, couldn't find any lesions or anything under the microscope. On Monday the day after I started treatment he excreted a lot of that stuff. So I did a 100% water change. the nematodes seem to be dead from the medication. Yes he ingested the medication. I also added some Flubendazole to the water column in case some worms got out his body before the medication could reach them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thank goodness he's still eating! Is he still belly up?
Where do you think this parasite would have come from? How long have you had him?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

Not belly up anymore, fortunately fixed that :) his tail is still bending a little bit upwards. I think the IPs are causing this buoyancy issue. Compared to Sunday it is much better.
Do you know what kind of nematodes they are? I might have to retreat him to kill off the next generation of this nematode since flubendazole is not effective against their eggs. knowing the lifecycle would be great for treatment.
john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

Not sure where this parasite could have come from. But from experience I can say, could be really anything. Food, tank mates, etc.
As long as his health is good his immune system can deal with it. I assume the water quality and feeding was not optimal when I was not home.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have PMed our Mentors here, who are both scientists & much better at IDing the photos you have posted.

john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

thanks pufferpunk :)
how long do you usually treat puffers with IPs?
I stopped feeding him so he can clear out his intestines. Is that okay?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's OK, I always recommend a fasting day--actually several for a large fish. How big is he?
I usually treat 5 days for IPs.

Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

I'm not even sure there are nematodes in the sample. Can't see heads or intestines at all. They'd look like this: https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/K-12/Te ... /step9.jpg Do they move?
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

Hello Corvus,
they don't move, the flubendazole probably killed them all ?! But i am not an expert regarding parasites just guessing.
today he pooped some weird pinkish balls, looks like cysts. I really don't know what that stuff is. Looks pretty alien.
there seems to be some internal structure in the cyst?

Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

This looks indeed like a worm cyst. Good job.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

should i keep treating with flubendazole and magnesiumsulfate? I have treated him 4 days now.
Not sure when the next generation of worms hatch.
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

I'd carry on. When the cysts are excreted there hopefully might not be a next generation.
john132
Puffer Fry

Post by john132 »

He is getting better now. And it is getting more difficult to force feed him the medication since he has regained his strength. He really dislikes the taste of the medication and it is difficult to hold him in the water. The amount of cysts he poops decreased. I tried to feed him a mussel without shell today but he just refuse to eat it and just chews it and spits it out. I think he is kind of mad because of the force feeding.
I am thinking about force feed him a mussel smoothie. He has to eat something been nearly a week since he ate.
any advice on force feeding?