Porcupine puffer fish injured! Please help!

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Jamesw3633
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United kingdom

Porcupine puffer fish injured! Please help!

Post by Jamesw3633 »

Hi I'm new to the forum, 2 days ago my baby porcupine puffer got sucked in to my powerhead, when I found him I quickly switched everything off, he was all puffed up and for a minute I did not think he made it, and then I seen his find moving, he don't look to bad his back did not look the same but it weren't a massive difference, but now he got white sort of scars on his back, I have attatched a picture please help me!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Porcupine puffer fish injured! Please help!

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Poor fella! You can add Marine Melafix to his tank to help him heal.

I do want to address your filtration system for a SW tank. Please tell me more?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Jamesw3633
Puffer Fry

Post by Jamesw3633 »

I have a 2000 lph canister filter with a supplement filter that houses 3 different kinds of course foam, I have bio balls, activated carbon and cermatic rings in the canister its self, he looks fine in him self, has a load of white fungus on his back where I think he tried to escape when getting pulled in, do you think he's going to be okay? He has not lost his appetite he don't like me to much at the moment though lol but I guess he's still a bit shaken up, I have only had him 2 weeks he's got one take mate a common clown witch funny enough bullies him a little bit, he's only 2 inches at the moment though
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

This filtration is not appropriate for a SW tank. Live rock & a protein skimmer is what you need. Is there LR in there? If yes, how much? How was his tank cycled? What species of "bully" clownfish? When do you plan on upgrading tank size?

As far as his health--keeping the water pristine by utilizing proper filtration & water changes, is best for him. Also add SW Melafix.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Jamesw3633
Puffer Fry

Post by Jamesw3633 »

Sorry I'm new to this forum, I have 25 kg's of live rock, about 50 lbs of live sand, 1 wave maker and did have a powerhead, and I am getting a protein skimmer but the tank has only been up since February and it's only housed a common clownfish until 3 weeks ago, and I was going to be upgrading Monday but deciding against it now, I'm still going to get the tank but I won't be upgrading until the puffer is better, the new tank is 120 gallons I think, and I cycled it with ATM colony I put it in on a Thursday night &I got the common clown fish the next day all my parameters were great.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

ATM?

Jamesw3633
Puffer Fry

Post by Jamesw3633 »

ATM colony nitrifying bacteria, instant cycle