What's wrong with our GSP?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
AimSOx
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

What's wrong with our GSP?

Post by AimSOx »

Hello! New to the board so please bear with me!

We have had our GSP Tony for around 14 months, he's been in a 27 gallon tank for approximately 12 months, brackish (was fresh water when we got him but have slowly (over the last year) been increasing salinity), and is the sole occupant, along with some stunning bog wood and a rock sculpture.

He used to swim around a lot, come to the glass to see us, respond to his name, and come to the top for food. We have been plagued by blue-green algae for months, our water is tannin stained from bog wood (though we don't mind this), coupled with the algae everywhere the tank looked awful! Fed-up with cleaning/hoovering twice a week just to stay on top of it, we followed advice and did a total black out for four days. Of course we fed Tone during this time, and he is in the living room so he would have heard us going about our daily routines.

After four days we removed the cover and the algae had all-but gone, the tank looked much better. Tone didn't. Since we did this (coming up two weeks) he has been really sad, staying at the bottom of the tank, always slightly grey, sometimes black and on occasion (though rarely) white bellied. He does seem to be eating - he happily attacked a cockle at the weekend, though not as persistently as usual. He does appear to have lost weight.

One other anomaly; he sometimes throws up, actually vomiting. He did this for the first time earlier in the year, and has done it twice more since his black-out. It's not after eating (it seems rather random) and he does eat a lot of what comes out. Should we be worried?

We are at a loss with what to do - any advice would be welcome, it's awful to see him so sad. This is our first experience with any puffer, and we were misinformed by the fish keeper that he was solely fresh water. We were also not told of his diet - as a household of vegetarians we would have made a different choice if we had known. Yes we should have done more research but you live and learn and we love him regardless!

Levels seem good:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - less than 20
ph - 7.5
Salinity - 1.018
Temp - 27/28
Food - cockles, muscles, brine shrimp and krill
Water change - at least 10% weekly added
Filter - Eheim Professional 4+ 350litre
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: What's wrong with our GSP?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Your pH is low, because of the bogwood. I'd remove that. What substrate are you using? What else are you feeding?
What do you mean by: "Water change - at least 10% weekly added"?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
AimSOx
Puffer Fry

Post by AimSOx »

Thanks for getting back to me.

I thought the ideal ph was 7.5-8.5? Would adding coral shells be of any help?

Apologies, that shouldn't say added at the end, just weekly water change!

We removed all the old cockle shells before the black out, could that have had an impact?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

7.5-8.5 is a HUGE pH difference. A steady level of 8 is best.
50% weekly WC are recommended.
At 1.018, you're practically SW. I suggest raising it slightly more & add live rock & a protein skimmer.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

AimSOx
Puffer Fry

Post by AimSOx »

Thanks, Pufferpunk.

We added some shells last night to start bring the pH up, and will increase salinity further - we don't have room for an external protein skinner (the tank fits snuggly into the alcove), do you have any recommendations for slimline ones?

We'll also get shopping for some live rock, though looking online it looks similar to what we know as lava rock - are they one and the same? We have some of that we could put in..

What do you think to the algae? It's starting to bloom again now so I guess we just have to put up with it, as Tony hated the black out so much. Funny, the water levels were the same before and after, he's just gone all sulky and sad!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I am referring to switching this tank over to a completely marine system. Live rock is nothing like lava rock. I was able to hang a protein skimmer on the side of one of my tanks. By using live rock, live sand & removing your FW filtration, it should help with the algae.

AimSOx
Puffer Fry

Post by AimSOx »

Thanks, Pufferpunk. So are you suggesting removing our Eheim filter all together? I have been looking at protein skimmers today and there are a few slimline options that we could hang on the tank.

I've also looked more into live rock - thank you for clarifying the difference there! Live sand is new, so I will have a look at that, too.

He had gone of his food last night but has taken a shrimp this morning. It really is a worry.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, after you have a solid, established marine system, the Eheim is nothing more than a "nitrate factory". Sand becomes "live" after being in a tank with live rock for a while.