Help On Treating Injured Puffer

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
jenelle12
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Help On Treating Injured Puffer

Post by jenelle12 »

I have a Hawaiian White Spotted Toby who as of this morning, seems to have sustained an injury to the eye. It almost appears as like possibly it was a bite. We've had "Little Puff" for 7 months in a 75 gallon tank with the same tank mates the entire time. Only an Immaculate Puffer was added later, about 4 months ago.

Both Puffers became instant friends, constantly swimming along the front of the tank back and forth together. Little Puff loves swimming literally up against "Big Puffer's" abnormally large belly. Big Puffer is quite the eater and fattened up within weeks of getting him! However, even as hungry as he always is, when I would put a cube of Brine in the tank, Big Puffer always waited while Little Puff got his tiny nip in of the cube.

Other tank mates include a Green Wolf Eel, a Snowflake Moray Eel, Immaculate Puffer, 3 Camel Shrimp, hermit crab, and a Coral Banded Reef Shrimp. While some might find that combination unsuitable, I can tell you in 7 months we've had not one injury. Never!! Everyone gets along with the Eels (although green wolf isn't technical an eel) being best friends and the Puffers. Little Puff has very little fear of anyone or anything, and is qutie the obnoxious tank mate.

Luckily, our Eels have always been very docile. We've heard lots of stories about Snowflake Eels... ours is afraid of his own shadow. He can't even catch feeder fish... he has to be hand fed. I've seen Little Puff go right up to his face while swimming just to hover next to him, and then carry on swimming. No one bats an eye.

IF someone in the tank did injure Little Puff it most certainly was an accident or Little Puff was antagonizing. Little Puff tends to swim in and out of the others "cave" areas regardless of how unwelcome he is.

This fish has been entertaining since day one and Little Puff has put up with our mistakes along the way with our first saltwater tank. I'd hate to see something like this take him out. What can we do to help him? He has been swimming but not like he normally does. He doesn't seem afraid of anyone or scared... just sort of swimming up and down in one spot... this morning he was actually rolling on his back and then belly multiple times.

We want to make sure he is as comfortable as possible and if there is anything we can do to assure he heals up perfectly. He is not eating.... and that really worries me. Him and Big Puff are always at the corner of the glass practically bouncing out of the water when I wake up and especially if I go in the freezer for their food.

I appreciate any help!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Re: Help On Treating Injured Puffer

Post by pokeystar »

Not sure if it looks like an injury I can't see any damage to the flesh aside from the popped eye? If the water pare meters are good leave him be maybe keep the tank dark to help hIim rest. Melanin is often suggested here for injuries. If it's pop eye as a disease treat for parasites? I think you really want Pufferpunk on here for really solid advice
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

pokeystar wrote:Not sure if it looks like an injury I can't see any damage to the flesh aside from the popped eye? If the water pare meters are good leave him be maybe keep the tank dark to help hIim rest. Melanin is often suggested here for injuries. If it's pop eye as a disease treat for parasites? I think you really want Pufferpunk on here for really solid advice
Melafix?
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Post by pokeystar »

its a general antibacterial water additive - tea tree based (from the smell) good for cuts and abrasions in aquarium fish. Might be sore on the eye and as its a marine puffer the salt will do the same job most likely. How is he looking today?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's called Melafix. I have actually put a drop directly on the puffer's eye but that was for cloudy eye. It does look like the swelling is behind the eye, which is usually called popeye. Most of the time the eye does go back to normal but occasionally my fish has lost the eye & some have even died. How is the fish doing today?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"