DP Poop

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
STJackson
Puffer Fry
Location (country): California, USA

DP Poop

Post by STJackson »

I'm wondering if my dwarf puffer's poop is normal, or if it shows signs of parasites (pics to follow). Two times now, I've noticed multiple chunks of poo that seem to be stuck together by a barely-visible thread. It does not look white at all, and as you can see from the pictures, he doesn't look emaciated either. His tail often looks curled when I get near the tank to inspect him, but when I watch from the other side of the room, he doesn't seem to curl it as much, so I think it's just a symptom of shyness.

Is this shape a definitive sign of parasites, even if the poo isn't white? I also notice most people recommend dosing their food with PraziPro, but the bottle I got (but haven't yet used) only gives directions for dosing the entire tank. If I do need to give him this medicine, would tank dosing be okay, given that he is such a shy eater? Are there any directions i haven't found yet about dosing their food (how long to soak, how quickly they need to eat the food to actually ingest the medicine)?

Some background info: I've had Nugget, my dwarf puffer, for almost a month now (brought him home April 26). He's a shy dude; he won't even eat in front of me (I just assume he's eating because the worms have left their cone and his belly always looks slightly rounded). I originally got him with another dwarf puffer, but it was clear once I brought them home that they were both boys; and despite the heavily planted tank, the slightly bigger puffer was picking on the little one, so I took the bully back to the store. (There were no injuries that I noticed, its as more psychological warfare: the big one would follow Nugget everywhere, even into hiding spots and bushy plants.)

I hoped that having the tank to himself would make Nugget more outgoing, but he seems wary of me still. Sometimes he'll dart around, and swim through the filter stream, but he mostly seems to cruise the tank when I see him in the evenings. Again, though, when I watch him from afar and I happen to be home during the day, he seems more active; so I'm not sure if he's trying to hide from me or genuinely inactive.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Pictures:
Poo visible under statue's nose:

Same poo attached to puffer:

Nugget today (not that tail is only curled when I'm close enough to get a clear picture):

Here are my stats:
1) Your water parameters (from test on Saturday, before water change):
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: very low, much closer to 0 than to 0.25 (reads 0 on strips after water change)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Salinity: n/a

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants:
10 gallon with one dwarf puffer, about a dozen "pest" snails
Originally had two DPs, returned one to LFS after 5 days because he was bullying Nugget persistently

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank:
Fed 4-5 live black worms per day, once a day
Water change: 25-30% twice a week
Products added/used: Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator, and Flourish for live plants
Testing schedule: test strips (including pH) every 2-3 days, API test kit once a week
Filter: MarineLand Penguin 75, with added pre-established biological media (I've dampened the flow with a sponge on the output because I know they aren't strong swimmers, but I can remove this if more circulation seems necessary for oxygen)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so:
None, except slightly larger water change on Sunday (about 40%) in an effort to clean substrate better

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it?
Set up with plants and biological media from established turtle filter on April 10;
Added feeder fish (destined for turtle tank) April 17;
Added puffers April 26, after water tests were level.
PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Re: DP Poop

Post by PolishPuff »

I also notice most people recommend dosing their food with PraziPro, but the bottle I got (but haven't yet used) only gives directions for dosing the entire tank
Please soak puffers food in the med. Puffers have skin so meds will not penetrate it. I soaked puffers food in med for about 10 min b 4 feeding, but that was long time ago and a different medication.
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin
STJackson
Puffer Fry
Location (country): California, USA

Post by STJackson »

Thanks for the reply! I thought the medicine might dissipate into the tank if he didn't eat the food right away. If anyone has experience with shy eaters, or thinks the medicine could dissipate if the worms are left alone for 20-30 minutes, I'd love to know more.

Any opinions about the poo? Can the strung-together bits be a symptom of IPs, or maybe over-feeding or something else? Again, since he's kind of shy, and in a tank with lots of snails and black sand, I'm not quite sure what his poop is supposed to look like.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Your puffer looks fine to me. Totally a waste of $$$ medicating the water, as puffers don't drink water.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"