green spotted puffer dying help :(

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
puffysr
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

green spotted puffer dying help :(

Post by puffysr »

I took home 6 spotted puffers from walmart a couple days ago. There was a dead one in the tank, their fins were broken (I thought rotting but later I figured they probably nipped it off each other). They had some small white spots and I bought some medication, I thought I could nurse them back to health in a simple tank (I had also bought a 1 gallon pet carrier temporarily until I could get something bigger. I didn't realize how much space they needed though, I was thinking they are so small just like 2 cm I didn't even think they would need something more than maybe 10 gallons. Now, I plan to get a larger tank this weekend (at least 20-50 gallon, depending on what I can get on craigslist). I'm trying to find something under $100-200.

Sadly one has died which was my fault, I overfed them, didn't change the water, the night before I had tried feeding them flakes. I went out for a few hours and when I came back the water was very dirty. I felt very sad about his death and I am trying to find a place to bury him. I felt horrible that he died because of the water and regret not changing the water. I was thinking I'll just change it when I get back and I didn't realize how bad it was. I promised myself after that that I will try my best to take care of the remaining 5 or find someone who can.

Anyways, another one is sick and I don't know what to do. There is a red sore on his tail. He doesn't look good. I tried to drop blood worms near him and he puffed up. I got scared and turned off the light hoping that would calm him down. Today I tried to change the water and he puffed up again. His fins are very bad. He barely moves. I don't know why he is sick - is it because the other puffers bit him? Or did I not treat him correctly. I don't know if he's sick because he was bitten or because he has an infection - can someone help me diagnose what's wrong with him? See the picture below - I tried to attach a picture to this post I hope you can see it.
Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 7.10.09 PM.png
I crushed a pill of lifeguard fish medication (it says to give one per 5 gallon tank for 5 days in a row), and tried to give a little piece per day since the amount of water is much less, but it's hard to measure and he hasn't healed yet. I don't know how he got sick. I've been changing the water 2-3x a day now. I tried dropping some bloodworms in there and if he doesn't eat I will change the water.

I don't have a good tank right now or much fish accessories and I'm just keeping him in a small quarantine fish bowl until I can buy a bigger tank.

I didn't realize the care that they needed. When I was younger we had an aquarium in my house but my dad and brother took care of it. I thought it was a fish I could keep in a small tank. I'm working on setting up a bigger tank but in the meantime I don't really have much I can use now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: green spotted puffer dying help :(

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I know they're cute faces are really hard to resist, but even most expert fishkeepers know better than to think they can do well with a fish from a sick tank with dead fish in there. Most of us would walk away & never go back. Unfortunately, 90% of people wind up finding this site because of such Walmart purchases. Please start reading these articles & then you can ask more questions about your situation:
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
library/hospital/internal-parasites-pre ... treatment/
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
puffysr
Puffer Fry

Post by puffysr »

Thanks I've been reading some info online.

Is there anything that I can do immediately for the puffer? He's isolated in a small fishbowl and doesn't move or eat. The water is clean and I'm trying to change it 2x a day at least. I put a drop of chlorine remover and a little salt (although it's hard to measure it). There isn't anything else in there and I'm just going to try to keep the water clean for now. In the meantime I don't have much materials, just salt chlorine remover so I have to keep the water clean manually.

I don't want him to die :( But he looks in very bad shape. Is there any medication I should give him? He's been in a small cup for a couple days and not moving :( I don't know what to do.

This weekend I'm going to try to get a larger aquarium for the other 4. I'm been looking at a 55 gallon tank with complete acessories but they are more expensive $200, I might start with a smaller 10g one for $30 for a couple weeks. Or maybe a 40 gallon one for around $150. In the meantime I'm changing their water 2x a day or so, after feeding.

And the sick one I might move to the gallon carrier (he doesn't move so it's plenty of space for him).
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Forget about "other" online info. The best info on the net is right here! Top pufferkeepers in the field here. ;)

Even changing the water 2x/day isn't enough in a cup. He needs to be in a larger cycled system, to prevent it from poisoning itself with it's own wastes. If you read the articles I linked you to, you'll realize a 55g isn't going to be their final destination. I feat they will not last until the weekend as they are now. :(

BTW, rescuing puffers from a store like this only tells them people will buy anything, no matter how poorly they are neglected. This just causes them to restock back into those diseased, unhealthy systems. You aren't helping their cause at all, I'm afraid.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

puffysr
Puffer Fry

Post by puffysr »

Right now he's not making any waste :( He doesn't eat and doesn't move but sometimes he tries to move his fins in place and his tail is curled. The water is clear.
Can someone tell if he has an infection and needs to be treated or is there nothing I can do? What is wrong with him? :(
The other 4 seem ok but have some dark spots on their bodies.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!

Post by Dadof4 »

Fish make waste continuously. They have kidneys too and poop isn't the only waste. Get him out of the bowl and in to a cycled system, like PP said, if you want to give him any chance of survival. Also these fish are best kept in singles, they will destroy each other if left together. The picture you're showing shows a very emaciated fish, potentially with IP's, with severe fin rot. The best course of treatment is to use garlic soaked food to get him eating and getting him in to pristine water of a cycled tank.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
sarahpuff
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): United States, PA

Post by sarahpuff »

Do you have the puffer in brackish water? Or is it in fresh? These puffers need brackish water. Walmart, Petco, Petsmart shouldn't be selling these puffers. I would say get a 40 gal for now. The puffer is most like going to die, its been in the care of walmart.
Powerpuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Usa

Post by Powerpuff »

I need to know if when a puffers tail bows inward is he dying. My puffer has been in a hosp tank for 5 days recieving antibiotics. I fear the fight is over. I've had georgie for 7 years and I am extremely sad to say goodbye. Is he in pain? Should I just let him go or put him to sleep by placing him in the freezer. I understand that he will just go to sleep. I dont want him to suffer. That's my boy.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

So sad to hear this. :(

Please repost this in the Hospital Forum & answer ALL the questions in red at the top of the page, so we can better diagnose the issue.