Notice from water company

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Notice from water company

Post by Welch4 »

So have received a letter from my town in regards to the water supply. The water in my area has reportedly double the accepted levels of Trihalomethanes ( TTHMs) and Haloacetic Acids (HAA5s). Is this something I am right be be concerned about? The letter says that it should not be an issue unless a person has a compromised immune system, is pregnant, or is an infant. I cannot setup an ro/di system where I currently am and am wondering if there are additional precautions I should be taking for my puffs.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Puffacus
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada Winnipeg Manitoba

Re: Notice from water company

Post by Puffacus »

Only thing I could think of is buying some bottled R O water / distilled and cutting your tap water by 50 percent to bring the high levels to normal and add a little of seachem prime or safe to help remove anything else that can be a problem in the water
you might need to remineralize the water depending on your tap water levels consider a half needed dose of discus mineral buffer sorry can't remember the exact name of the product
good luck
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

It's possible that your dechlorinator would deal with them since they will be formed from the chlorination process, I would try contacting your manufacturer to find out. If you do contact them I would be grateful if you would post the answer you get.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

I unfortunately do not have the space to add on RO/DI system. I have been double dosing prime for all of my water changes. I know i scanned the notice into my email ill have to dig it up. Ill try contacting seachem and ask if this is something prime takes care of. Luckily all has been well in my tanks all of my fish, plants, and corals are doing great.
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)

Post by DMD123 »

Just doing a quick google search...
http://cfpub.epa.gov/si/si_public_recor ... ryID=29716
"For trihalomethane removal, aeration - either by diffused-air or with towers - and adsorption - either by powdered activated carbon or granular activated carbon - is effective."

From the sound of it you may be able to lower the trihalomethane by filtering through activated carbon.

Did the water company offer any suggestions at all? or did they just say it is high?
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

No recommendations what so ever. It was just implied that if you were immune compromised, pregant, or an infant that the water was not safe to drink. I can see what i can do to add carbon to my circulation pumps for my wc barrels.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm gonna send RTR an email about this & see what he says.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Pre-filtration with GAC should help and may clear the issues. Have you contacted the local supply folks directly by phone? They may be able to offer options best suited to your individual area and your individual requirements. Local US water companies IME tend to be very responsive to their clients' needs and issues. HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

I have not contacted them yet. I will do this when i get home. As far as the GAC goes has are there media basket option available to add onto a pump, a diy option, or am i better off trying to get a small canister and load with GAC. Once i have spoken with my water company i may look into the cost associated with running carbon on my house water supply. I have a home water filter now but i believe this is just a sediment cartridge.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

RTR's response:
In this country at least, most local water companies are quite responsive to their clients and can offer optimum or at least practical water solutions. But part of it may be that I can speak their language.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"