Fahaka? IP's

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Albie (F8) soon to be rehomed
Milo and Millie (DPs)
Location (country): United States of America

Fahaka? IP's

Post by Salmon »

It's been awhile since I've posted on here but I recently found my lost love of puffers when I saw what I believe is a fahaka at a local pet store (they had no idea what it was)

Anyway when I first bought him his stomach was all kinds of lumpy. I noticed he was eating small MTS snails off the substrate at the store so i don't know if that could be it or maybe IPs. He does get skinny pretty quick after eating which is why I believe it is IPs.

Parameters
1. Ph 7.6 ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 0ppm Salinity should be 1.0 as no salt has ever been added
2. Tank size is 29 gallon (planted) will move to 120gallon once he gets bigger (currently around an inch) shares tank with 3 black mollies and a couple rams horns and ghost shrimp (seems uninterested or they are too big for him/her)
3. Feeding once a day when I get home from work. Change 50% water every two-three weeks. Been soaking food (frozen bloodworms) in garlic and prazipro for half an hour after thawed.
4. No changes have been made to tank except the addition of rams horns for a failed feeding.
5. Tank cycled a couple months ago with media from existing aquarium including some gravel exchange and rock as well as 5 gallons of water. Water put in tank was half RO water half well water.
Those who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to find puffers.
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Re: Fahaka? IP's

Post by Salmon »

I guess my question is how do I go about getting rid if them effectively. Since he isn't eating the bloodworms very well. Any food suggestions for soaking with the prazipro and I'm soaking it in aquarium water with the garlic and prazipro is that right? Is half an hour after the food thaws good or should it be longer? I really want to keep this guy for the long haul. That's why you get single tank specimens right? My friends think I'm crazy and just say that if it dies I can get a new one, but then why buy fish if you just plan on replacing them as they die. That's no way to live.

I know some of you are going to say to move him to the 120 gallon ASAP, and I know this bit that tank is currently being broken down to recondition and since I'm moving in 4 months seems like a hassle to setup again. My question is about treating this little guy for what I strongly believe are internal parasites. I've tried searching the forum for answers but nothing is as specific as what I'm looking for IMHO.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

Will he eat small peices of shrimp? Those would be easier to soak in prazi and feed than bloodworms. I recommend an hours long soak in prazi/garlic solution. For his size a peice of shrimp about the size of your pinky nail, or smaller, I think would be adequate. Fahakas grow 1" a month during their juvenile period, so depsite the hassle, I really recommend you move him into the 120g right away. If you are serious about keeping him healthy and happy, the hassle will outweigh stunting... Which I can gaurantee will happen if he stays in the 29g for 4 months.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Post by Salmon »

Thanks. I'll have to go but some shrimp pieces tomorrow and try that. I read that about them I wasn't sure how well the 29 would handle him, I'll have to get the 120 setup again. It sprung a leak and needs resealed so depending on how fast I get that done it may be some time. All the fish in it I donated to my friend. MTS got the best of me lol. I'll have to rush the reconditioning process of the 120 I thought I had some time, but I agree if I care about the well being of my fish, then I need to get him a better home fast.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Try live earthworms to get him eating. Then, you can inject the meds into the worms.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Post by Salmon »

Where should I get the earth worms? The ones in the ground here would probably be infested with pesticides and insecticides. Out in the boonies. Is there somewhere I can buy a syringe easily?
Tripp
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Tripp »

Go to a local pet shop and get some pest snails.
Ramshorns are the best
Try and stay away from the ones that look like a tornado on the back. (forgot the name of them)

I went thru this same issue awhile back with a Fahaka we rescued.
He was in bad shape I am sure the thread is still active.

Try some kril soaked in Garlic as it should be like catnip if the snails dont work.

The worms you can get from Walmart just grab some small night crawlers in the fishing department ,

If that doesnt work and its worst case just to get him to eat try some live feeders but they are the worst.
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Post by Salmon »

Tripp wrote:Go to a local pet shop and get some pest snails.
Ramshorns are the best
Try and stay away from the ones that look like a tornado on the back. (forgot the name of them)

I went thru this same issue awhile back with a Fahaka we rescued.
He was in bad shape I am sure the thread is still active.

Try some kril soaked in Garlic as it should be like catnip if the snails dont work.

The worms you can get from Walmart just grab some small night crawlers in the fishing department ,

If that doesnt work and its worst case just to get him to eat try some live feeders but they are the worst.
Tornado snails = Malaysian trumpet snails I believe.
I got some ramshorns at jacks but the ones they gave are pretty big and he acts as if he wants to eat them but can't find a way lol
I got frozen krill and he was interested but didn't take it I'm thinking the medicine was why. And they are too big possibly.
The frozen bookworms he took to pretty well but wasn't able to eat them very easily for some reason. Looked like those party blower things that you blow out and it rolls back in. That's how he was eating them and it took him a bit to get one down
I'm running out of ideas I will try earthworms tomorrow
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I get earthworms at Walmart.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Tripp
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Tripp »

Salmon wrote: I got frozen krill and he was interested but didn't take it I'm thinking the medicine was why.
Dexter wanted nothing to do with food soaked in meds had to go with much lower dosages to get him to try it.

Try just the food and make sure you using the right garlic
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Post by Salmon »

What's the right garlic? I literally took a clove of garlic and squeezed the juice into the cup the food was soaking in
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Post by Salmon »

Got the guy to eat some bloodworms today. No medication. Just trying to get him to eat at this point.

G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

If he's eating than theres hope, that's always a good sign. +1 to what PP said. Any place that sells fishing bait, just buy some nightcrawlers/red worms (walmart has them year round usually).
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Post by Salmon »

Bought me some dillies though he didn't seem interested. Need to find smaller ones. I noticed before I went to bed that his belly was rounder meaning I think he ate a snail that's crawling around in there
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Milo and Millie (DPs)

Post by Salmon »

Today when I fed him some medicated bloodworms, he ate one and violently shook around and eventually it came out of his mouth but it look like half of it lost its red coloration. Do you think some medication may have got in his system?