HELP PLEASE! Puffer dying

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
aacf7392
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: green spotted puffer
Location (country): usa

HELP PLEASE! Puffer dying

Post by aacf7392 »

i was sent here from fishlore for my puffer & i now think i know what is wrong with him. i used quick cure cause he had white spots on his fins & i think thats whats wrong with him. since ive used it ive done a water change but he still not looking good. what do i do to save him? please help
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: HELP PLEASE! Puffer dying

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Just looked at your post here http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/brack ... ost1597339
(link posted so others in the forum here can get up to speed on the situation)

I would agree with JRC3's posts make sure your ammonia and nitrite is 0 and your nitrate below 50. GSP's do need to be in a high brackish environment. But before you deal with raising salinity make sure the water is clean first. Continue to do large water changes ASAP and perhaps leave the light off to reduce stress.

Hope things work out.

EDIT: If your tank needs to be cycled get some Tetra Safe Start ASAP: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32416
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
sgtmyers88

Post by sgtmyers88 »

One of our experts is not online but I did get this message from him:
Dadof4 wrote:Well, white spots are normal on the fins with most puffers. As long as they're not like salt and raised up. All puffers have spines, visible or not, and it is normal to see little spots on the tail and fins from where those spines would have been. I call them pores.

First thing to do W/Cs to get the quick cure out of there and run carbon to help eliminate it. Second have all water parameters listed. GSP's usually don't look good because something is outta whack. WC's right now are his best friend.
Others will be on to chime in shortly. Is he still swimming around and how is his breathing? Is it labored and heavy?
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

I read your original post on fishlore, but may have missed the information; how big is the tank?
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

You need to be doing lots of large waterchanges but be sure your sg doesn't fluctuate too much or you will open yourself right up for new problems. I would bet money that this is a water quality issue.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Also are any deodorants or air fresheners used in the room?
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

bertie 83 wrote:You need to be doing lots of large waterchanges but be sure your sg doesn't fluctuate too much or you will open yourself right up for new problems. I would bet money that this is a water quality issue.
They currently don't have SG. They were having SOME reading from what I read in the original post, but they stopped adding salt when they did a water change so it's no longer registering.

OP, what was your salt reading when you actually had one? How much were you increasing your SG by each week?
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

I've followed the thread on FL and I don't think the SG is anything significant. I have yet to find out tank size but I do know ammonia has not been tested. I heard the puff was better after a WC but the OP thought it was because the Quick Cure was diluted. Does Quick Cure actually harm puffs?..I think the WC lowered the ammonia. I reccomended 50% daily WCs and stop feeding for a few days because he is porked up...Could also be constipated but I recommended controlling the ammonia before worrying about possible constipation.

aacf7392, not to take away from FL because I think it's a great site, but in regards to your puffer pay attention to this thread.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
sgtmyers88

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Saw the videos on the fishlore thread. Looks like a 20H aquarium. And that internal filter looks like it does not produce enough flow. I would suggest a good HOB filter rated for a 30-60 gallon tank due to the puffers high bioload. Make sure to get carbon and run it in the filter as well or get one of those carbon boxes that run off an air pump. Carbon will aid with removing Meds and other chemicals added to the water.

Examples:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00026 ... UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Pengui ... supplies_1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063 ... UTF8&psc=1
aacf7392
Puffer Fry

Post by aacf7392 »

it is a 30 gallon tank. ive got 2 filters running in it. no deodorants or air freshner in the room. done a 50% WC yesterday & fixing to do another one here in a minute. i have no way to check ammonia level because i only have the 5-N-1 strips. i live an hour away from any walmart or fish store, i'll try to get there this weekend & purchase something to test for ammonia. puffer looks so bad, i know he's suffering. i feel horriable for him.
aacf7392
Puffer Fry

Post by aacf7392 »

just done 50% water change & checked the water levels. nitrate 0 nitrite 0 TA 120 Ph 7.2
aacf7392
Puffer Fry

Post by aacf7392 »

puffy died today :(
sgtmyers88

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Im sorry :(
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Sorry you lost little puffy