Help! Green Spotted Puffer Swimming & Resting Sideways

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
littlepuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: One Green Spotted Puffer in a 55G tank. (RIP little puffer #2!)
Location (country): USA

Help! Green Spotted Puffer Swimming & Resting Sideways

Post by littlepuffers »

Hi All. It's been a while since I posted! (Thankfully?)

We have had two GSPs in a 55 gallon aquarium for 5.5 years. They eat every other evening and we do 50% water changes every 2-3 weeks (this has been the normal routine for almost the entire time we have had the aquarium) and we don’t use any additional products other than the normal de-chlorinator, buffer and marine salt.

The last time we re-set up the tank was almost two years ago when we moved, so it’s well established. The only thing we have don differently in the last week or so is add some water to the aquarium on Christmas Eve day to top it off (this is normal on a weekly basis) and fed them some freeze dried krill as a treat the same day.

Water parameters PRIOR to the emergency change addressed in the below paragraph:
SG 1.017
Ammonia ~.25ppm
Nitrites 0
Nitrates <20
Ph ~8

So, on to the symptoms. I could have sworn that about a week ago, one of our puffers started acting a bit strange, but it seemed short lived, so I didn’t worry about it. Christmas Eve, we tried to find the same puffer, and it was hiding in the bottom of a hollow log and it didn’t come out as quickly as normal. Rarely do we even see it go in there. Christmas it seemed more normal. Wednesday evening it started swimming around, bumping into things, breathing hard and acting like it was stiff when swimming. It was also sometimes swimming on its side as well as resting on its side, or even nose down in a plant. NOT normal. This was late Wednesday evening, so yesterday (Thursday) morning I did an emergency 50% water change. That didn’t seem to help at all. Last night, it was laying nose wedged into a narrow crevice underneath and inside one of the logs in the aquarium. Not sure how long it stayed there, but this morning it isn’t any better and was laying in the corner of the aquarium on its side still breathing hard.

Our other puffer is doing just fine.

Help! :(
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Re: Help! Green Spotted Puffer Swimming & Resting Sideways

Post by puffykid »

You may want to up the wc to every week since they are bigger and puffers tend to make a big mess. Do you clean out the filter/ filters? every month you shouldn't be showing any ammonia in the tank ever. What are the exact names of the products you use on the tank?
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
littlepuffers
Dwarf Puffer

Post by littlepuffers »

Actually, they haven't grown a whole lot in the time we have had them. They are probably only about 3" from nose to tail. And yes, I change all four filter cartridges every month.

Buffer: Seachem Malawi/Victoria Buffer
Salt: Instant Ocean Sea Salt
Water Conditioner: Aqueon Water Conditioner (I believe this is what I have right now, without being able to look at it.)
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Thanks for the info, based on what you said I would get a new water conditioner (Prime ) its what a majority of this forum swears by and seems to always work. Your filter pads are where your bacteria grow and shouldn't be switched out so frequently, it sounds like you have two filters running which is good. From now on simply rinse off a set of 2 filter pads alternating every other month in water that you take out of the tank gently no scrubbing. I would wait on another water change tonight unless you can get your hands on some Prime but, try to get it asap tomorrow and do a large wc see if that perks him up at all.

Good luck!
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Post by defool89 »

Real quick, maybe I didnt read it right but I dont have time to go back at the moment, did you say you change out your filter? By that do you mean you change out the sponge and carbon etc. with all new sponges? If I mis read it sorry but if you do chenge out your sponge, dont do it anymore the box says to change it out every two months but its all a scam to get you to re buy their stuff. If you halvto just rinse it off, by replacing it you are risking un-cycling your tank.
You have the right to bear Puffers.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

defool89 wrote:Real quick, maybe I didnt read it right but I dont have time to go back at the moment, did you say you change out your filter? By that do you mean you change out the sponge and carbon etc. with all new sponges? If I mis read it sorry but if you do chenge out your sponge, dont do it anymore the box says to change it out every two months but its all a scam to get you to re buy their stuff. If you halvto just rinse it off, by replacing it you are risking un-cycling your tank.
+1 do it once a year if its falling apart or switch to AC media. (it all fits with proper trimming)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
littlepuffers
Dwarf Puffer

Post by littlepuffers »

No, I definitely do NOT change the biofiber stuff. Only the filter sponges that are filled with carbon.

The fish has now been on its back on the bottom of the tank, not moving (except its eyes) but breathing (barely and seemingly stopping then gulping) for over 24 hours. Also odd-its belly is white. It seems paralyzed or something.
littlepuffers
Dwarf Puffer

Post by littlepuffers »

Well, RIP little Taylor fish (profile pic). :( After watching it get worse and worse, after trying to burp it and after trying to force feed it, we helped it to fishie heaven yesterday evening. Sad day, but glad it isn't suffering anymore. Trinity fish seems happy now, though. It was stressed watching Taylor suffer but is happy now.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

:(
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Sorry you lost him
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

So sorry for your loss... :(

Stop with the buffers. The salt is all you need. Use Prime for water conditioner.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
littlepuffers
Dwarf Puffer

Post by littlepuffers »

Thanks everyone, for the condolences and suggestions. It was a sad weekend last weekend. Doing better now, and just glad Taylor fishie isn't suffering anymore.
littlepuffers
Dwarf Puffer

Post by littlepuffers »

Hey everyone. We had to help Trinity fishie, our second (and last) puffer to fishie heaven on Friday. Same symptoms as the other puffer, mostly. Except this one was on the bottom of the aquarium for a day and then ended up floating on the top. We turned off the filters a few hours before we helped it out, as they would carry the fish in the current and bang him into the decor. We noticed then, that it would do a slow circle on the top of the water, upside down, until it came to rest against something and then it couldn't move away from it. :( It was a good run with them and we really enjoyed them, but I don't think we'll be getting any more fish any time soon. Moving is in the future and so are kids, so right now it's just not feasible. But we will miss them!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

So sad... :'( Something went quickly downhill with your water, I'm afraid.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
littlepuffers
Dwarf Puffer

Post by littlepuffers »

I have no idea what happened. Maybe the "Made in China" plants started leeching something? Other than the MTS I found (I have another post on that) in the aquarium a month ago, I did nothing new. :( Both puffers seemed to become paralyzed in their last days. So odd and sad.