Stars and Stripes not eating *Video Added

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
petebsbll
Puffer Fry

Stars and Stripes not eating *Video Added

Post by petebsbll »

*After a month of not eating I've got Huey feeling better and eating! Thanks for the input everyone.

*added a link to a video of me trying to feed him in reply below
I've searched several similar threads but figured I'd see if there were any other suggestions. These forums have always been great and I'm lucky to of found them.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 80 ppm (I've had problems with Nitrates ever since I set up this aquarium, I'll admit I'm not the best at regular water changes)
PH - 7.8
Salinity - 1.018
Temperature - 80 Degrees (currently have sealed bags of ice in the tank to help lower it, I'm hoping this helps him feel better and want to eat)

There have been no additions or changes to this aquarium for 3 years. I did a routine water change yesterday to try to help him begin eating.

I've had my stars and stripes for nearly six years (he was 5 when I adopted him from my local shop). He is in a 125 gallon with a 3 year old Emperor Angel). Im just looking for some feedback on any suggestions to help him eat. He has ate a varied diet, but really enjoys mussels. I've read garlic can be effective, I'm going to pick some up tonight. Any other tricks that have worked would be greatly appreciated. He lost weight like this last year around this time, It could be related to the increase in water temperature during this time of the year.

If any additional information is needed on the tank parameters I will post them, but again this tank has been running with no changes. The latest change was 3 years ago when I added a baby Emperor.I didn't test the calcium levels, I read in another thread this could target this behavior, please let me know if I should test this and I'll pick up a calcium kit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by petebsbll on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Stars and Stripes not eating

Post by bertie 83 »

How much live rock is in there? You need to get those nitrates down to under 20ppm, under 10ppm is better
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

What kind of equipment do you have for controlling water quality? How often and how much water changes on a monthly basis? Any other tankmates besides the Emporer?
Kind regards,
Terrance
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Not to add to the torrent of questions you're going to get, but what are you feeding this little guy? Garlic can help - puffs do seem to like garlic. You could also appeal to his natural desire to chase crunchy things down and devour them with some live shrimp, like ghost or cherry. This is how I kick-started my puffer's appetite when she quit eating.
petebsbll
Puffer Fry

Post by petebsbll »

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for the suggestions so far. My puffer is still showing no interest in eating. I've attached a link to a video on youtube of me attempting to feed him. I've also attached three pictures, not sure if they will be of any help. I'm starting to wonder if he has some type of swallowing issue. I will occasionally notice him looking like he is coughing. I'm no expert at telling if he has any air trapped in him but he doesn't appear to have any bulges on his underbelly.
bertie 83 wrote:How much live rock is in there? You need to get those nitrates down to under 20ppm, under 10ppm is better
I'm not sure how much live rock is in the tank. I'm guessing around 100 lbs between the display and the wet/dry.
Terrance wrote:What kind of equipment do you have for controlling water quality? How often and how much water changes on a monthly basis? Any other tankmates besides the Emporer?
Overflow box
Wet/Dry Filter (All Glass Aquariums Mega Flow Model 3)
Mag 12 return pump
Coralife 220 Skimmer
Koralia power head ( middle rated gph version)

As far as the filtration the water first enters the overflow box and hits two cylinder shaped sponges before entering the wet dry. I tried to turn the wet dry into a refugium two years ago. The first tray the water comes into contact with is a sponge filter, the water then enters the bio-balls chamber. I removed the bio balls years ago and replaced this chamber with live rock. The water then flows through the lower section. I added "live reef mud" to this lower section two years ago (cant remember the brand). It then hits another rectangular shaped sponge right before the return pump. I also have a small light over the wet dry with a cluster of cheato I picked up at a LFS years back in hopes to reduce nitrates.

I think from the start there has been a flaw in my filtration set up. The tanks been running for over six years and Nitrates have always been an issue. I tried doing weekly water changes, I noticed very little difference in my nitrates. Its been close to two weeks now since my puffer has ate, he still appears to have color and doesn't seem stressed, but his breathing seems heavy.

There are now no tank mates with the puffer. I had an Emperor with him for 3.5 years but just donated him to the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky.

El Scorpio wrote:Not to add to the torrent of questions you're going to get, but what are you feeding this little guy? Garlic can help - puffs do seem to like garlic. You could also appeal to his natural desire to chase crunchy things down and devour them with some live shrimp, like ghost or cherry. This is how I kick-started my puffer's appetite when she quit eating.
I picked up some garlic last week and soaked some mussels and raw shrimp in it with no success. His diet primarily consisted of mussels, but occasionally I'd feed him other meaty foods (squid, shrimp, oysters, scallops). I will try some ghost or cherry shrimp. Any other live food suggestions? Would I be better off with saltwater shrimp so my puffer has a better chance of catching them before they die? If he doesn't go for the live shrimp should I try live fish ? I'd hate to introduce disease to the tank but he has to eat.

I'd love to get him well and back on track to eating. Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7hEnmNP ... e=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7hEnmNP ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Re: Stars and Stripes not eating *Video Added

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Needs abit more room to swim, so removing some of the rock will help. And I think your ph and SG is a bit low. Try getting your ph around 8.2-8.4 and your SG around 1.023. Everyone else seems to getting you good advise on the rest.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Sorry, my bad about the rock. They background got me...lol. But even with his size, I would bring down some of that rock work towards the bottom so he could have more room. He is huge, even in that 125 gal...lol
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
petebsbll
Puffer Fry

Post by petebsbll »

I'm still not having any luck. It's been over two weeks and he/she is losing weight. Has anyone ever force fed a large puffer? I've been doing my research but any feedback would be appreciated. My puffers breathing has been heavy, I added air stones and will keep doing daily water changes down. Anything else I can do? Nothing has been introduced to this tank for 3+ years so I don't see how it could be a parasite, but maybe some type of infection?

Has anyone tried force feeding without sedating? I'm going to give this a shot tomorrow and will keep everyone updated.

Thanks.
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Are your nitrates still high? Thats most likely the reason he isn't eating and we need to get that down first before the puffer will most likely eat. You said you have about 100 pounds of LR in the tank? Could you add some more? I believe you want 1lb for each gallon for the tank, it doesn't have to be all LR you can get base rock and seed some too. LR is really good at breaking down nitrates as the creatures that live inside do the work, do you have any powerheads blowing the water at the LR? that can help get the bacteria to process the wastes better.

Also idk if I would leave in that live reef mud, live sand is just a nitrate factory and that may just be doing the same.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
petebsbll
Puffer Fry

Post by petebsbll »

I'm currently trying to treat him/her in a 46 gallon QT tank. Someone suggested trying antibiotics on another forum. I began treating with maracyn 2 but the second day I tested ammonia in the QT tank and moved him back to the display. I was doing a fishless cycle and was near week 3 but this puffer is huge, the filters must not be able to handle the bio-load. I feel really bad for this puffer, I've had him for six years, he/she hasn't ate for close to a month. I've tried two web browsers and am having no success with the puffer library for further research. When I click library a bunch of random text and url's appear on the page, could someone please direct me to the library articles?

His breathings heavy with occasional coughing, as if he/she is trying to dislodge something stuck or get out trapped air. In general where would the trapped air be on a puffer? There are two lumps on either side of him behind the gills but I seem to remember them always being there. I've attached a photo. This puffer is around 15" in length so if I was going to try to release trapped air it would probably require sedating him/her to prevent injury.

Also has anyone tried force feeding a puffer while sedated? If so, does the puffer have to stay in the water while sedated?

Thanks.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
petebsbll
Puffer Fry

Post by petebsbll »

Pufferpunk wrote:Try posting about it here: http://forum.marinedepot.com/Forum10.aspx
Thanks, doing that now.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Please let us know what they say.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

petebsbll
Puffer Fry

Post by petebsbll »

Any chance his beak could need a trim ?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Beak looks fine.