black stomach now.

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

black stomach now.

Post by suvattii2012 »

For those who don't know my t. suvattii started puffing up at himself in the relection of my aquariums and after a couple of weeks i got lots of plants rooted at each side which calmed him down.
He had some fin rot about a week after he first puffed up and i healed it nice with malafix. It's been quite awhile now since he recovered and now the plants are all rooted in and he is calmer now.
Problem is that his stomch went black from stress i should imagen and it's not getting better. He is feeding well like always and body looks fine exept the darker stomach. It's been darker since he puffed up aload of times so about a month mabie.

I don't think the fish will be like the 10 months before this happend ever again. Acts different even though they lay still i can tell.

What should i do?
Arrowhead
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Re: black stomach now.

Post by El Scorpio »

Fish can't see their reflection inside the tank looking out, so that ain't it.

Go ahead and answer all the questions in red - it sounds to me like there's something about the water he doesn't like.
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by suvattii2012 »

I know some people think that but i can assure you with 110% that is wrong. They can see there reflections and by watching the puffer fish it reacts with it's self. ie. He would stay still then puff a slight bit, he would puff right up then move because he is thinking a arrowhead is facing of and not backing down. It's a old tank & i don't no why they make the sides like mirrors.

It's not the water or i would have filled it all in. The sides are dark on the outside so it's a mirror inside
& like i said he has not puffed up now because both sides of the tanks have loads of plants blocking his way.
Arrowhead
Lukedt95
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Female Red Eyed Red Tailed Puffer
Location (country): United Kindgom

Post by Lukedt95 »

In most tanks what you think is a reflection is just an illusion, you're looking at the glass through water at a 90 degree angle.

But if your aquariums sides are mirrored, that's strange. Try and cover them with plants or maybe even some sort of background so that he can no longer see himself. Puffing up all the time is doing him no good and is causing him a lot of stress, which is possibly why is stomach is turning dark.
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Just be sure to soak his food in a good liquid multi-vitamin supplement. Boosting the immune system really helps with stress and disease.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

The mirror effect on glass had been much discussed on one of a f8 hijacked thread.. Bertie did some pretty wild experiment.. I do still believe there will be some reflection, faint maybe. RTR wouldn't agree, Bertie didn't see anything. Guess U have to literally put your head in to be totally convinced.
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

If you have live plants, than I'm assuming you have him in freshwater. Why don't you start slowing changing to salinity? Maybe he would do better. What are your water parameters, just out of curiosity?

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

It's a freshwater puffer. Sorry you having a hard time with your puffer mate, if everything is in order I would just watch him for a while and feed just it's favourite food for a few days to try to calm him a little.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

Oops, sorry. Just looked at avatar as saw GSP. Thanks!

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by suvattii2012 »

Lukedt95 wrote:In most tanks what you think is a reflection is just an illusion, you're looking at the glass through water at a 90 degree angle.

But if your aquariums sides are mirrored, that's strange. Try and cover them with plants or maybe even some sort of background so that he can no longer see himself. Puffing up all the time is doing him no good and is causing him a lot of stress, which is possibly why is stomach is turning dark.
Yeah thanks did you read my two posts?
Arrowhead
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by suvattii2012 »

bertie 83 wrote:It's a freshwater puffer. Sorry you having a hard time with your puffer mate, if everything is in order I would just watch him for a while and feed just it's favourite food for a few days to try to calm him a little.
Ok mate thanks i will try that
Arrowhead
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by suvattii2012 »

FADE2BLACK_1973 wrote:Just be sure to soak his food in a good liquid multi-vitamin supplement. Boosting the immune system really helps with stress and disease.
I could try find some liquid vitamins any brands to looks for? Yeah i think his immune system went down after there first few puffs and within a week he had fin rot on one side. thanks
Arrowhead
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Vitazin is the most common round my area, it certainly won't hurt to add them.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Yeah Bertie can help you out with a good vitamin supplement brand in your country. Those live worms should soak up the liquid muti-vitamin really well. And boosting his immune system is a must.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by suvattii2012 »

Yeah i have ordered some today, when i fed him i had a good look at his belly and it's much lighter then i thought it was. He has been calm for weeks but i haven't seen his stomach that well latly. HIs overall colour is perfect. It's not like some gsp's totally black stomachs iv'e seen, it was a darker colour, if you understand me lol
Arrowhead