Help me.... My puffer is not moving

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
S0n1c87
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Sg

Help me.... My puffer is not moving

Post by S0n1c87 »

I have 2green puffers in my tank. Salinty 1.000. One is quite like to hide and only appear when eating. The other does not like to eat much and today it totally not moving. It just float with the water current... :( its stomach is alittle black. When I touch him, he moving abit then back to his dead motion. Why is this happening to one of my puffer.? Pls help my puffer. I feeling very helpless to him now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxjrBSb9p2s
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Re: Help me.... My puffer is not moving

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Please answer all the above questions in the red box. These questions are very vital in us being able to get you the help you need. Most specifically I need:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
Tank Size:
List of all inhabitants:
Water change schedule:
Any changes recently:

1.000 is freshwater, which is no salt.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Yes we need answers to all those questions before we can accurately help you
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
S0n1c87
Puffer Fry

Post by S0n1c87 »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:Please answer all the above questions in the red box. These questions are very vital in us being able to get you the help you need. Most specifically I need:

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 80
Tank Size: H11" L13.5" W9", 90% water
List of all inhabitants: 2green puffer, 1.5"each
Water change schedule: twice a wk, 20% change
Any changes recently: Just changed water 2days ago abt 20%, ytd I change ard 10%water and added 2spoon of salt to reach that 1.000, i am using the 2in 1 hydrometer with thermometer for measurement

1.000 is freshwater, which is no salt.
S0n1c87
Puffer Fry

Post by S0n1c87 »

any advice for me. :( do i need a water change again.?
Donna_G
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 2 Dwarf puffers
Location (country): Bridgend,South Wales,UK

Post by Donna_G »

You should not be showing any ammonia or nitrite and your nitrate reading is really high, it should be 20 or less for nitrate. Looking at your tank size it is too small for 2 GSP, puffers are really messy and I think GSP require 30 gallons each minimum. You need to be doing more water changes to get the levels down as they are really sensitive to bad water conditions.
S0n1c87
Puffer Fry

Post by S0n1c87 »

Donna_G wrote:You should not be showing any ammonia or nitrite and your nitrate reading is really high, it should be 20 or less for nitrate. Looking at your tank size it is too small for 2 GSP, puffers are really messy and I think GSP require 30 gallons each minimum. You need to be doing more water changes to get the levels down as they are really sensitive to bad water conditions.
So how much water should i be change now.? and how frequent.?
Donna_G
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Donna_G »

You want to get those levels down ASAP but as you only change 20% twice a week, I don't know whether you should do 1 large water change or several smaller ones spaced out. I personally would do several smaller ones and gradually increase the amount changed each time to be on the safe side.
Donna_G
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Donna_G »

Going by the measurements you've given, it's about a 5 gallon tank they are in. That's really not enough space for them and your going to have a really hard time keeping your water parameters stable. Can you get a bigger tank or maybe return them to the shop if you've only just bought them, till you can get a bigger tank If possible
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

I would change 80% 2x daily, your water is currently toxic. 55g min for 2 gsp, 75g is much better
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

The ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings are so high because your tank is not cycled. Pufferfish are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite because they don't have scales and simply will not survive the ammonia and nitrite spikes in a cycling aquarium. Furthermore, your tank is way too small. You need about 30 gallons per GSP. As Bertie said, you're going to need a 55 or 75 for two GSP's, as they grow to about half a foot in length. You might also want to pick up a bottle of Prime; it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. Might buy your fish a little more time.
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Use prime decolorizing stuff. It'll lock up the ammonia and nitrates so that they can't hurt your fish, you can use up to 5x the normal dosage to help your fish. Agree with above please start doing a lot of wc's a good schedule is an 80% in the morning and evening which will help dilute out the wastes while you let your tank cycle. If possible get another tank and separate them or even better get 2 20 gallon tanks and put each into their own which will buy you some time.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Or get the 55-75 now as there will be much more water to dilute the waste products, do you know anyone with an established tank you can swipe some filter media from? Do not add anymore salt wait until you are fully cycled, adding salt will prolong the cycle.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Look for a used tank in the newspaper.
What country is Sg?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
S0n1c87
Puffer Fry

Post by S0n1c87 »

Hi ppl. Ya. I am going to upgrade my tank soon. Need to order a new fish tank rack first before I can do that. Would be ard 35g which is the max my rm can fit in.

I'm from Singapore (SG) :). Thks for the help.