Porcupine Puffer, brink of death

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Nightfoxx220
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Micah the Porcupine
Location (country): New York,United States

Re: Porcupine Puffer, bring of death

Post by Nightfoxx220 »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:Do you have access to anesthetic, or can you get some shipped overnight? I have Finquel and can overnight some to you if you reimburse me the shipping money via PayPal.
I can't make it overnight, he is violently smashing his face and eyes off of rocks.
I need something to do it now and really don't have much stuff around the house.

I really don't want to do the blunt force, but will if i have to
His fins are turning red, eyes are seizuring, skin is getting all scuffed from scraping off rocks.
I gotta do it...
Micah the Porcupine puffer<3
PufferBabe
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 4 green spotted puffers:

Izze, Nemo, Calogero, Capone.

1 f8:

fernando :)

1 Dp:

Bambina :)
Location (country): callifornia

Post by PufferBabe »

oh no :(..

what i would do if i was you is if there is nothing you can do for him at this point then put him in a container and place him in the freezer...he'll succumb to the temp and go peacefully
*The Oceans work is Never Done.
Nightfoxx220
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Nightfoxx220 »

I've seen so many things that one says something is humane and one says its not.
The freezer seems a little ruff, but watching him bash his face off rocks every few minutes and puffing up is not going to work well for him either.

No matter what i do he will suffer
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Freezing is extremely painful and not at all peaceful.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Nightfoxx220
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Nightfoxx220 »

Might have to default to blunt force/decap

Every few minutes he violently flops into rocks and puffs up
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

You could also just remove the rocks in the tank.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

Nightfoxx220
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Nightfoxx220 »

He still runs into the sides of the tank at full force.
His body is getting more red, now he is hardly moving, still breathing heavy and puffing up every little bit.

My dad said go get clove oil or something tomorrow, i am not letting it go till tomorrow
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Well, you can remove the rocks and he won't be smashing into as many things or such rough things, which would probably be a good thing while you figure out what to do.

If you don't want to wait, then you will probably have to go with decapitation/pithing/blunt object. Since he is a large fish, it might be easiest to catch him and put him in a small container and hold him underwater while you decapitate. It would probably be easier on both of you than taking him out of the water and holding him down while you do your thing, and if you're working underwater, decapitation is probably easiest and would let you be more accurate and speedy.

I AM A DUDETTE!

Nightfoxx220
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Nightfoxx220 »

He is gone, in fishy heaven.
Thank you guys for helping me give him a good 2.5 years.
I don't know what happened or why but i think the tanks coming down.
As I don't know what happened all I can blame is myself.

I was really looking forward to the possible 18 years with him
PufferBabe
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 4 green spotted puffers:

Izze, Nemo, Calogero, Capone.

1 f8:

fernando :)

1 Dp:

Bambina :)
Location (country): callifornia

Post by PufferBabe »

im so sorry for your lose....

LilGreenPuffer wrote:Freezing is extremely painful and not at all peaceful.
and decapitating it while its still alive or perhaps stabbing it in the head with a needle is better...Mmmm i dont think so... i'd rather let him go PEACEFULLY in the freezer.
*The Oceans work is Never Done.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Sorry he didn't make it
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

This is so heartbreaking, what did you decide on doing? Whatever it was I probably could not make myself do it. :(

Or did he finally go on his own?
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's probably best to have things on hand to euthanize your fish, you never know what might happen.

I can't imagine freezing an 8" puffer, that would take forever.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Sorry for the loss... you didn't by chance forget to turn the skimmer back on after one of the water changes did you (before the strange behavior or early into the not feeding part)?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I'm sorry about your puffer. :(
PufferBabe wrote:and decapitating it while its still alive or perhaps stabbing it in the head with a needle is better...Mmmm i dont think so... i'd rather let him go PEACEFULLY in the freezer.
The AMVA strongly recommends against freezing, since the fish remains alive and conscious while its flesh freezes and crystallizes. This process can take many many hours. One can shock the fish first, but the AMVA still recommends against it. Decapitation (when followed by destruction of the brain), pithing through the front of the brain, and blunt force tank only seconds. Whenever we need to euthanize a fish, we need to put aside our own preconceptions about pain and fear (because these are based on our experiences as extremely intelligent, emotional, *warm-blooded* animals) and think about what is best for our pets - it's not about us, it's about them. It might seem violent to us, but for them, it's less only seconds of pain; in a freezer, it's nice and tidy for us, but hours of agony for them.

I AM A DUDETTE!