Porcupine Puffer Air Bubble?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Bella A.
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

Porcupine Puffer Air Bubble?

Post by Bella A. »

Hello Everyone I Was Doing Some Maintenance On My Aqaurium Just Some Basic Stuff And Decided To Take Out Bella (My Porcupine Puffer) And While She Was In The Net She Puffed In A Small Amount Of Air, When I Put Her In A Bucket She Puffed Up But Stucked Up Water She Pushed Out Most Of The Water And Air But She Had A Small Bump On Her Left Back Side It Went Down Alot But Its Still Noticable. She Does Not Seem Bothered By The Bump Shes Active And Exploreing Around Like She Normally Does, Should I Not Worry To Much About It? Is There Something I Could Do To Make It Go Down?

Thank You
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Porcupine Puffer Air Bubble?

Post by bertie 83 »

You must never remove a puffer from the water. She needs to be burped to expel any air trapped. Get her tail point her head up under water and give a little shake a couple of times, the air should float out. There is no reason to remove fish during maintenance.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

+1, NEVER expose a puffer to air! There is no reason to remove your fish for maintenance.

How big is his tank? How much live rock is in there? Protein skimmer?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Post by chuckfriedrice »

I use a plastic pitcher to move Petey when I need to . Like Berty said never remove them from the water . I only use my net to get him to swim into the pitcher. Hopefully everything works out with Burping yours .
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
CoCoPuffs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by CoCoPuffs »

Oh, not good...easier ways of doing maintainence w/o moving fish....My fish get stressed just by having the syphoning hose in the tank w/them...
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Yeah use a combination of a large pitcher and a large fish net and corral the puffer into the pitcher if for any reason you need to remove the puffer from the tank again.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

Post by suvattii2012 »

How is the puffer?
Arrowhead
Bella A.
Puffer Fry

Post by Bella A. »

suvattii2012 wrote:How is the puffer?
I Decided To Try To Burp Her, She Seem To Be Okay While I Was Doing It. I Believe That I Must Have Pushed The Air That Was Trapped To Her End Side...Because When She Used The Bathroom All The Air Came Out In Small Bubbles.

I Was So Worried About Her, I Learned My Lesson...I Wont Be Exposing Her To Air Ever Again :)
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

Post by suvattii2012 »

Bella A. wrote:
suvattii2012 wrote:How is the puffer?
I Decided To Try To Burp Her, She Seem To Be Okay While I Was Doing It. I Believe That I Must Have Pushed The Air That Was Trapped To Her End Side...Because When She Used The Bathroom All The Air Came Out In Small Bubbles.

I Was So Worried About Her, I Learned My Lesson...I Wont Be Exposing Her To Air Ever Again :)

Thats great news, :D i have never took my arrowhead out of his tank, but i do have a 1 gallon big tub incase i need to. Best to keep them under water just in case.
Arrowhead
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

That is brilliant news. Glad he is ok
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
hammer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: stars and stripes puffer
Location (country): England

Post by hammer »

a similar thing happened to my juvenile S and S puffer and when it fell from my aquarium and puffed as it landed to make a sort of 'air bag' it had its tail curled around it there was a small bulge in its lower side, but recently its had its tail straight behind it and I watched it burp a couple of times (which is very strange to watch) and now it swims with its tail straight behind it and no bulge. I felt that I wasn't experienced enough to handle my puffer that has been in my aquarium for only 2 months.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

hammer wrote:a similar thing happened to my juvenile S and S puffer and when it fell from my aquarium and puffed as it landed to make a sort of 'air bag'
I kinda chuckled at this. I must say that's a smart fish. It kinda makes me wish I could puff up with air the next time I take a nasty fall. lol
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
hammer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: stars and stripes puffer
Location (country): England

Post by hammer »

sgtmyers88 wrote:
hammer wrote:a similar thing happened to my juvenile S and S puffer and when it fell from my aquarium and puffed as it landed to make a sort of 'air bag'
I kinda chuckled at this. I must say that's a smart fish. It kinda makes me wish I could puff up with air the next time I take a nasty fall. lol
I know, I guess I was in too much of a panic to realy notice how cool that was