DP acting strange

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon biocellatus, 3 Colomesus asellus, 4 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): U.S.A

DP acting strange

Post by borgey »

I have a 29 gallon tank that had 5 DPs in it (4 females and 1 male). About 3 days ago I rescued a female DP from someone. She does not look to be in bad health from what I can see, she has the normal round shape that female DP's have. I acclimated her to her new home (the 29 gallon with the 4 other DP's in it) and I thought for sure that everything would be okay from here. The first night she seemed absolutely fine, I tried to get her to eat some live blackworms but she would not but I figured it was just because of stress (even though I have always got DP's to eat on the first night with live blackworms). I saw her and the other DP's that were previously in the tank getting into little arguments but nothing too serious at all. Well it has been days now and I still have not gotten her to eat no matter what I try. I want to treat her for IP's even though I doubt she has them but I can't do so because I can't get her to eat at all. I have tried blackworms,blood worms and snails and all the other Puffers go crazy with them except for her. Another thing is that she is not acting like a normal DP would. She pretty much just stays in one part of the tank (about mid level of the water column most the time) and does not explore or anything like DP's normally do. What really alarmed me today was right after I feed them all (she didn't eat again) she was swimming around but doing some really odd movements. It was like she was doing barrel rolls and flipping as she was swimming in fast bursts. After seeing this I am convinced something is up but I'm not too sure what to do from here. I can't get her eating to treat for IP's or anything so what should I do? All my water parameters are fine, ammonia-0,nitrite-0,nitrate-5-10 and ph-7.5 . Any help would be really appreciated. I have keept DP's for years and NEVER seen one act like she does. I am yet to loose a single DP out of all the ones I have keept and I don't want to start now :-(

By the way, mods I'm not too sure why it posted my thread so many times. I do apologize for this and please delete the extra ones.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: DP acting strange

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

You suspected IPs and didn't quarantine?
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon biocellatus, 3 Colomesus asellus, 4 Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Post by borgey »

No, I did not suspect IPs since he looks absolutely fine. I give all my Puffers IP meds no matter what when I first get them. Where did I say that I suspected IPs? DP was in my buddies tank for a long time which is healthy but he has to take it down since his landlord did not like him having one on the 2nd floor of the apartment. So rather then him giving her to someone random or an LFS I took her. Like I said before I am 98% sure it's not IP's but I always treat any new Puffer I own.
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

Sounds like it could be external parasites, by the way you describe her movements. She may have ich in her gills or something.
Either way, something is off and you'll have to treat the entire tank. You could try heat and salt, it's safer than any store bought medicine I feel.
Does she have labored breathing?
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

borgey wrote:No, I did not suspect IPs since he looks absolutely fine. I give all my Puffers IP meds no matter what when I first get them. Where did I say that I suspected IPs? DP was in my buddies tank for a long time which is healthy but he has to take it down since his landlord did not like him having one on the 2nd floor of the apartment. So rather then him giving her to someone random or an LFS I took her. Like I said before I am 98% sure it's not IP's but I always treat any new Puffer I own.
You said that you were going to treat her, so it sounded like you suspected IPs. If you are going to treat all your new fish, you should do it before putting them in the display tank with the other fish. Quarantine tanks are easy to set up and very, very important.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

borgey
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by borgey »

Yeah I'm going to setup my 10 gallon spare tank and put her in it. I'm going to take some media from one of my canister filters and put it in a HOB for her. I will start with aquarium salt and raising the temp. I also have some Levamisole powder that I purchased online from some Dr. that a member here referred me to. Do you think it would be alright if I did that along with the salt and heat or should I just do one at a time?
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

Not sure on that medication, but you will have to treat all the puffers now, they have been exposed, it's in the tank. You could still separate her for observation purposes, but treat all.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

If she has ich/other EP symptoms, then you should definitely separate her. If the other fish are healthy, they can probably resist a brief exposure, but I would imagine that if she stays in and gets heavily infested, it would give the parasites a toehold to attack your other fish. I could be wrong, though.

I AM A DUDETTE!

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Can you find out what she's been eating previously?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"