help cure GSP ick please :(

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
sandspuffers
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

help cure GSP ick please :(

Post by sandspuffers »

My GSP has ick. he was in a freshwater tank but we are slowly making the conversion over to brackish water. (tonight we added a half cup of salt to the tank after doing a 50% water change.) there is another GSP in there with him that looks perfectly fine (i know only one puffer for 30 gallons but they are still very small and we are moving him to another tank soon). we have read that increasing the water to around 84 degrees will help a lot and adding salt will help. when doing the water change we tried using water that was a little warmer than the water already in the tank but it only brought it up to about 78 degrees at the warmest. we dont have another heater to put in there so there really isn't any way that we can heat up the water. what else should we do? we went to walmart and found some ick treatment medicine that can be used for scaleless fish. but we weren't sure how it would work in brackish water so we didn't get it yet. what should we do? we really need to get this figured out fast before the other puffer gets it.
tank size- 30 gallon
all other info is unknown.
please help
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Re: help cure GSP ick please :(

Post by Dadof4 »

Ich is best cured by bringing the water SG up and bringing the temp of the water up to speed the life cycle. Please refer to this article and follow the directions carefully and exactly. Medications are a very poor choice to use with puffers and really do increase the mortality. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28113

Other questions for you: How long has this tank been set up? How was it cycled and have you made any changes recently? What kind of salt are you using?

You really need to get a test kit to make sure the tank is cycled completely and to monitor it. Puffers are especially sensitive to waste build up and stress is a contributing factor to ich because it lowers the immune system.

How are you tracking the specific gravity of your tank water? To do this you need either a hydrometer or a refractometer. Tracking this is very important especially when making changes. Specific gravity should only rise by .02 every week. Mixing salt right to the tank water is also a bad idea because dissolving marine salt can burn the fish's skin and gills. When you do add salt, dissolve it in water first, let it sit for 24 hours then add it to the tank in a water change.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19348
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
sandspuffers
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

Post by sandspuffers »

Thanks for your help. we are getting a hydrometer sometime today.
the brand of salt we are using is instant ocean. last night was the first night of turning the water into brackish so we only added half a cup. we got some really nice advise from a worker at fishy business where we bought it. thats really all the info that i know. i don't know the pH level of the water or anything right now. but the water was cycled last night and the waste from the rocks was sucked out with a siphon. so im guessing that all the ph levels and nitrite levels are at least CLOSE to where they need to be. since we just got the puffer fish with the ick on thursday we are just taking it back. we are worried about it spreading to the other puffer, and we want the fish to live obviously. so we are going to let the pro's deal with it and HOPEFULLY get him well again.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Your other puffer will have ice also, how do you mean " water was cycled last night"?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly