GSP is still sick, fighting an uphill battle here.

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

GSP is still sick, fighting an uphill battle here.

Post by LongGrain »

Alright for those of you who didn't see my intro thread, I figured I need to make a dedicated hospital thread.

Here is where I left off.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=29357

currently he is in the 37 gallon marine tank by himself.

water params:

SG: 1.022 (slowly raising it up)
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 8
Nitrate: Not exactly sure, not too high though.

His ich is all gone, his skin is clear, but he has become extremely lethargic, he spends 95% of the day with his head jammed under a rock like he's terrified to swim. his fins are clamped and he does not move unless I either feed him (he'll come out and gobble up some food, but not 5 minutes later he will go back into hiding, or move the rock he's hiding under, he will come out for a minute and go back to lay on the bottom. He's very dark colored now, his body is almost totally black, half the time it doesn't even look like he's breathing, so I move the rock to check if he's dead and he swims away for a minute before finding another spot to lay. I haven't seen him fan his tail out in days (then again, he's never really fanned his tail out for longer than a second since I brought him home). Though he was the largest, healthiest, most personable puffer in the tank when I picked him out.

I treated his water twice with jungle IP tablets, as well as soaking his food with a little medicated tank water and garlic (which he won't really eat, so I don't know how much good its doing) He still eats snails like a boss though.

here's a picture I just took a minute or two.

I'm seriously at a loss here. I've done everything I can think of to make this guy happy, and I've failed. All the while my girlfriend has a GSP in a 5 gallon fluval chi w/ fresh water, and despite my lecturing that it is not a proper environment for a GSP, MINE is the one dying, and hers is the happiest puffer I've ever seen. I don't know what to do anymore.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: GSP is still sick, fighting an uphill battle here.

Post by bertie 83 »

Start with a large waterchange while you wait for more input.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

I just did one yesterday. His behavior hasn't changed. I just grabbed one of his rocks off the bottom and noticed that it had some globs/bubbles of a clear jelly on it. NO idea what they were, I rinsed them off though and put the rock back in.

Currently I'm waiting on a protein skimmer and power heads for this tank, it just has a 200w heater (temp is set at 76-78 degrees according to my marineland digital tstat) and Filtration is being handled by a marineland 200, and a decent hunk of live rock.

I know the tank setup is not ideal as I'm currently obtaining the equipment needed for SW, but every day its something new with him. He's very skinny, and when he's lying on the bottom, he's almost black, but if he gets up and swims (like when I feed him) his coloration almost instantly goes back to normal and his belly goes almost totally white again.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

it sounds like he is nervous. What does he do when the lights are out?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

his lights are never out. He has day lighting and moon lighting. I don't really see much change in behavior, other than sometimes right when I turn his daytime lights on he comes out to look around for a little while.

Today he's acting a little different, I got up to find him scanning the bottom of the tank, he actually ate a helping of medicated blood worms, and right now he's actually swimming around the tank like an almost normal fish. His belly is still really dark and his fins are all clamped, but he's swimming at least, albeit pretty slowly.

How important is a tank background? I've been thinking I should probably get one for him, but I'm not sure what color/design. I don't want it to look cheesy.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I skimmed through your thread, and the most recent tank picture shows only a couple things in the tank. He probably feels very insecure with so little to hide behind. Tank backgrounds can be helpful for nervous fish, since they make it feel protected by a solid wall on that side. If he's really nervous, you can extend the background around the sides for a while. If you want to avoid cheesy, just go for plain blue or black. But really, the #1 thing is to get more stuff in there. Terracotta flowerpots (new, not used - you don't want plant chemicals in your tank), coffee mugs, fake plants, whatever - he needs some things to hide in. The ironic thing is that when a fish has lots of things to hide in, it doesn't feel the need to hide all the time anymore - it knows that hiding places are at hand if needed.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sounds like the poor fella is really suffering from IPs. Keep trying to get the meds into him.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

today he decided to make a change of pace, he's been floating at the top of the tank by the heater since I fed him around noon. He DID eat most of his worms that I had soaked in medication today, which was good. My protein skimmer will be here on friday, and when I get paid next Im going to pick up more decorations for his tank as well.

His fins are still a bit ragged from a few weeks ago, should I treat him with melafix? Or should I wait until he's feeling better, I don't want to add any undue stress.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Melafix never hurts & actually may help him feel better, as long as you have good O2 exchange.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

Updates.

Still very dark colored, still not swimming much, still skinny, but still eating decently from what I can tell.

I picked up melafix today and gave him a dose, as well as picked up more snails to soak in some jungle IP medication.

New water params as of today.

sg: 1.022
pH: 8
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: .5ppm

so my tank is still cycling (obviously, its new). John at the lfs told me to do a small water change (1 gallon) just to dilute the ammonia/nitrite a little bit for him, and then check the water again on friday to see if nitrite is going up or down. My skimmer will also be in on friday, which will be nice because my tank is getting gross, lots of gunk building up on the glass and rocks.

short flick of him curled up sleeping that I took about 10 minutes ago. He always sleeps with his nose in the sand for some reason. Its like he's trying to keep from floating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ2k6RsM ... MPYT7XqBvm
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

You need to do as big a water change as is needed to get ammonia and nitrite to zero. One gallon out of 37 won't make any difference.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I agree, 50% WC. Any live rock in there? Skimmer?

LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

Pufferpunk wrote:I agree, 50% WC. Any live rock in there? Skimmer?
LongGrain wrote: Currently I'm waiting on a protein skimmer and power heads for this tank, it just has a 200w heater (temp is set at 76-78 degrees according to my marineland digital tstat) and Filtration is being handled by a marineland 200, and a decent hunk of live rock.
LongGrain wrote:My skimmer will also be in on friday
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, thanks for the catch up!

What's a "decent hunk"?

LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

I'm starting to think of asking the LFS to nurse my fish back to health while my tank cycles and establishes a proper bacteria colony. Ugh, killing me.