Dying GSP

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
recoil

Dying GSP

Post by recoil »

:!: If someone can help me, please do. I bought a GSP about 3 days ago. When I bought him, they told me to salt the tank 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water, which I did. I bought all the food they told me I needed. He was lively, bright green and "smiling". Now, he has a film over one eye, he has faded out from the nice green color to brownish. He is staying with his tail curled and just resting on the bottom a lot. I don't think he's going to make it the night, much less the weekend. Please, someone help me. I don't want to lose, most importantly, this little fishies life, and also, these guys aren't cheap. Please help me. :cry: :cry:
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Please answer the questions here, so we can help:

http://www.thepufferforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=5
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Well, the first thing you can do is some water changes. Make sure you match the temperature and use dechlorinator if you are on city water.

Are you using aquarium salt or marine salt? Marine salt is what they need, but you need to make any changes slowly so for right now get him some nice clean water (change about 25% out, mix it so its all the same temp, salt, etc) and get the rest of the info that Pufferpunk asked for.

The clean water should help perk him up a little, but depending on the circumstances it may be too much for him and you might be better off returning him to the store. You'll have to answer the questions though so we know what's going on.
Pamela
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Pamela »

I don't reckon that tank's cycled.
Can we have an update, Recoil?
Pami.
Tihsho
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tihsho »

Ughh, I got some IM's from him in Yahoo Instant Messenger. Personally people (if they have a different acc on a forum and IM and message somebody) should atleast say who they are and or what their acc is in the forum.
<80 gal> 2 GSPs & a Ceylon!
<75 gal> 3 Figure 8s & 1 Butterlfy Goby
<75 gal> *Empty*
<55 gal> 3 Gymnothorax polyuranodon (FW eel)
<30 long> Pair of Lorteti's & Irrubesco's, 1 DP, Endlers Livebearers, Clown Pleco, Royal Pleco, 2 Bumblebee Cats
<20 long> 4 Flounders
<4 gal> 2 Sparkling Gouramis & 3 ottos heavily planted

~Tihsho~
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Happens to me all the time... Folks just start IMing me like they know me or something, with a different name & I'm like, "Who are you?"
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Tihsho
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tihsho »

Maybe there should be a sticky on 'IMing Rules' lol. It would benifit people who need help and the people who they are IMing...
<75 gal> *Empty*
<30 long> Pair of Lorteti's & Irrubesco's, 1 DP, Endlers Livebearers, Clown Pleco, Royal Pleco, 2 Bumblebee Cats
<20 long> 4 Flounders

~Tihsho~
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Eh, too many stickies clog up the forums.

Tihsho
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tihsho »

True, true. But many anonymous posts clog up the away messages in YIM.
<75 gal> *Empty*
<20 long> 4 Flounders

~Tihsho~