Curing Ich: RTR's Salt & Heat Method

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Curing Ich: RTR's Salt & Heat Method

Post by Pufferpunk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:02 am

Why do you suggest against aquarium salt?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:16 am

"Aquarium salt" is an undefined term, it has nor chemical or scientific meaning. Any company can package any, repeat any, salt form or purity and call it Aquarium Salt.

Many years ago a group of hobbyists gathered as many different brands of Aquarium Salt as they could find and analyzed those materials. They ranged from the crudest raw mined salt to identifiable brands of grocery store table salt. Not one was purified NaCl, which is highly hydroscopic and would have fused int a single lump shortly after opening anyway. So aquarium salt is not pure salt and does not identify whatever additives or contaminants are in it. I had rather buy salt from the grocery and know what is in it and that it is safe for humans.

See also my note on salt in the Library: "The Salt of the Earth, the Salt of the Sea" It is the most popular thing I have written and has been translated into multiple languages and reprinted many countries. If it is not there, we'll get restored.
Where's the fish? - Neptune

PapaPUFF
Puffer Fry
Location (country): PuffyPlace

Post by PapaPUFF » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks for these info! Very helpful!

piffNpuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Leicester, Massachusetts

Post by piffNpuff » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi, Im new to this forum but ive had my fahaka puffer for about seven months now hes 6 inches long in his own 55 gallon. Ive noticed a few spots of ick on his body so i tried the salt and heat method. Its been atleast 11 day now and hes still has some spots on his back. I was wondering if i should wait a few weeks and do a couple water changes to dilute the water and then start the salt and heat method all over again or is there anything else i could do? its not a severe case of ick but i just want to get it taken care of early.

steveo
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by steveo » Sat May 21, 2016 1:00 pm

So I cannot use instant ocean sea salt for this ich treatment?

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk » Sun May 22, 2016 9:14 am

steveo wrote:So I cannot use instant ocean sea salt for this ich treatment?
Not if it's a FW fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk » Sun May 22, 2016 9:14 am

piffNpuff wrote:Hi, Im new to this forum but ive had my fahaka puffer for about seven months now hes 6 inches long in his own 55 gallon. Ive noticed a few spots of ick on his body so i tried the salt and heat method. Its been atleast 11 day now and hes still has some spots on his back. I was wondering if i should wait a few weeks and do a couple water changes to dilute the water and then start the salt and heat method all over again or is there anything else i could do? its not a severe case of ick but i just want to get it taken care of early.
Are you sure that is isn't his tiny spines you are seeing?

Meandit
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

Post by Meandit » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:12 pm

I know this is an old thread, but it does not say what the SG should be. I already have salt in my tank. It is brackish. What do I need to increase it to? The temp is 84, the SG is 1.003.
Last edited by Meandit on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Then you don't need to add salt, if it is a low-end BW fish, just heat & large water changes. What fish is it?

Meandit
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

Post by Meandit » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:31 pm

It's the same figure 8 that has the fungus on its tail. I increased the SG to 1.005 earlier today. Just to see what happens. I was going to increase it next week. He ate a ton today by accident. I'm afraid that will make him worse. But he is still eating so that is good right? I'll just leave everything as it is now.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:52 pm

I would not keep a F8 at a higher SG than 1.005.
Healthy appetite is great!

Calzone
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Calzone » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm new to owning a puffer and I got an Amazon puffer but he had ich when I bought him from the pet store because the pet store owner doesn't believe in treating fish. I've been doing 50% water changes every other day and started the salt and heat thing last night after doing a lot of "I don't know what to do". All of the Ich has fallen off, but now my puffer has developed these weird like splotchy circles on his body and I'm not sure what they could be from or what they mean... please help, I'm already so attached to this fish.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 am

Continue treating for 3 weeks after all the visible cysts are gone. Add Melafix to heal the lesions left by the parasites.