HELP! GSP gill/lumps/curved spine tail

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
jakjak1220
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Re: HELP! GSP gill/lumps/curved spine tail

Post by jakjak1220 »

jakjak1220 wrote:all bottles are less than 10 months old from date of bottling. API says they are good for 4 years i think.
Can anyone give me insight on the condition of the GSP?? I have had the F8 for months and he has never shown any signs of illness...
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Do your water changes to get those nitrates down. They should be way under 20 and preferably 5-10.

With your water change schedule, the tank size, and the fish in that tank I can't believe the ammonia and nitrites are at 0. Specifically what brand and model is ur filter? If you are way over filtered, that's a good thing, mayby the filter is just keeping up...For now.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
jakjak1220
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by jakjak1220 »

I have tested and retested everything.

Tetra PF10 filter.

Will that filter work if I were to convert the tank to brackish?
Cuchulainn
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Peg city, Manitoba,Canada

Post by Cuchulainn »

Agreed! Keep up on the water changes.
jak jak, Do U use a gravel vac at all in the substrate? If U don't I highly suggest getting one A.S.A.P.
U may also want to test the water coming out of the tap, this way U will know what the baseline is.
goodluck :grats:
Cuchulainn
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Cuchulainn »

The filter U are using is only good for keeping a single guppy happy in a 10 gallon.IMO
I would definitely look into getting a larger filter. Puffers are messy eaters, eat alot of live foods and create a large bioload, especially on such a small filter. Triple the amount of filtration U have with weekly 50% water changes would be great, and the sooner U upgrade the better chance of ur little guys surviving
hazima
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Omaha, NE

Post by hazima »

wow i've never seen a gsp with such a dark belly...your in good hands here tho cuch!
trekenk
Fahaka Puffer

Post by trekenk »

jakjak1220 wrote:I have tested and retested everything.

Tetra PF10 filter.

Will that filter work if I were to convert the tank to brackish?
Jak Jak I wouldn't worry about converting the tank to brackish right now. Did you read all those articles? F8 and GSP require a different salinity, yours are also in a tank that is to small. Most pressing matter is doing large water changes everyday until you can get a bigger tank for that GSP. If this isn't an option could you possible return him to the store ( as long as he wasn't bought at Walmart).
Cuchulainn
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Cuchulainn »

hazima wrote:wow i've never seen a gsp with such a dark belly...your in good hands here tho cuch!
LOL Thanks Hazima....I feel the love :love:
Now if we can help jak jak get his gsp, F8, and his lone guppy livin happily, healthy, and feelin the love as well! ;)

BTW jak jak, hows the tankmates doing today?
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Post by Brandon8521 »

See if you can get a 20 for the fig8 and a 30 for the GSP (a 40b would be better.) You need to get them their own tanks for the best chance for them to live long lives. The fig8 may seem fine but you dont know what kinds of stresses its not showing signs of. One thing that concernes me is the big swollen side on the GSP. Mine had that and it kept moveing around and eventually killed it. Some people have even had them burst open and kill their GSP. Did he have that when you picked him up from the store?
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Bcummings, was it a nematode?
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!