Red lumps

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
marksrush
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: One GSP.
Location (country): USA

Red lumps

Post by marksrush »

Sorry to post on this, because I know there is a thread somewhere in this forum dealing with these, but after searching the forum using the keywords "cysts" and "red bumps" I couldn't come up with anything. We have a little valentini at work who acts wonderfully healthy, eats well, has a nice full belly, but she's got these little pimple-like red lumps on her, about 1/32" in diameter. I'm not kidding, they look exactly like zits. I counted three of them. I guessing that they're some little worm or something like that, but I'd like to be a little more certain as to what they are so we can treat appropriately. Anyone seen anything like this, or can anyone point me to a thread or two on the subject. Thanks!
marksrush
Fahaka Puffer

Re: Red lumps

Post by marksrush »

I should have put this in Hospital, maybe someone will move it for me.
marksrush
Fahaka Puffer

Post by marksrush »

I'm sort of surprised that there are no responses to this thread. Is it because I don't personally own this fish, or because no one knows what it is? I know I'm not as active as I once was on this forum, but it's not because of anything negative. It's just that I deal with fish and animals all day long, so when I get home it's a little difficult to be interested in doing anything else but catching up on the news.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

no .. we were waiting for it to be moved.. ohh I see it did get moved... never noticed.. sorry :(

There have been a few posts on pimples and zits in the past. Epsom salts to help with the swelling and a melafix / pimafix cocktail to help with the infection, along with very clean water.

Some of the stories turned out good, with the pimple / boil releasing itself and others turned out bad..
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
marksrush
Fahaka Puffer

Post by marksrush »

Thanks, J-P, I appreciate it a lot. I'll go back and search using some different keywords because I'd really like to read those threads.

The little fishie sure doesn't act like anything's wrong with it - she eats really well, looks good otherwise, and is quite active. Our water is as good as water can be, so that part I'm not worried about...luckily, we have a small system next to hers that has an empty tank so I can treat her once we decide exactly what we want to do. Thanks again!
marksrush
Fahaka Puffer

Post by marksrush »

FYI water (RO/DI + Instant Ocean) tests at 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, s.g. 1.024, pH 8.4, temps ~78F.
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Hey mark, there are 2 ways of doing it. Easy: go to the top of the Hospital forum (the one that lists all the topics in the forum) and you can search for pimple there, or go to the search forums section, keyword: pimple and in the "Search in forums:" section highlight pimple. You should get about 3 pages of hits dating back to 2005.

Hope that helps a bit.

marksrush
Fahaka Puffer

Post by marksrush »

J-P, I did all that, and didn't come up with anything that applies to this situation. I used "pimple", "zit", "red lumps", keywords like that. What came up was either pertaining to freshwater fish, or from their description didn't look like what I'm seeing. Anyway, I've about decided I want to do a metronidazole and praziquantel treatment and then take it from there; it's only a 3-tank system + sump so I won't have to use so much.
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

:) just be careful with the meds... do you have a QT tank? or can make a temp one? or possibly a strong dip? you know what anti bacterial will do to the bio filter

PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Post by PolishPuff »

J-P wrote:no .. we were waiting for it to be moved.. ohh I see it did get moved... never noticed.. sorry :(

There have been a few posts on pimples and zits in the past. Epsom salts to help with the swelling and a melafix / pimafix cocktail to help with the infection, along with very clean water.

Some of the stories turned out good, with the pimple / boil releasing itself and others turned out bad..
My Lorteti had a "pimple"

Did not turn out good for him :(

+1 for j-p comments
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin