puffer trapped air still 6 weeks later

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
danielsturdy
Puffer Fry
Location (country): united kingdom

puffer trapped air still 6 weeks later

Post by danielsturdy »

Hi there i posted some 3/4 weeks ago i have a 2 year old dwarf puffer, who has a lump/trapped air at the back of his belly just were his tail starts.. which is causing him to float to the surface

i left to go work offshore for 4 weeks and was not exspecting him to be there when i got home, i get home in 4 days from work and i have been told by my girlfreind he is still there!!.. in total 6 weeks with this air trap.

he is eating healthy, when the lights go off he swims to the filter and sticks himself to the intake and lets it suck him against it and he relaxes there

during the day/when the lights come on he goes and hide in the weeds and when they are fed he swims out, eats and then goes back to his weeds

i have got some video footage of him i will upload on youtube when i get home and post it on here, and it shows the problem very clear.

i was half exspecting him to have given up and not be there on my return him, but hes been a little fighter and is still alive an kicking, he is a good 15mm in size and i can hold him thumb and forefinger, he is in a 200 litre tank with 6 more dwarf puffers and 15 other fish,

previously i was burping him. once (sometimestwice) a day for 4-5 days... but i didt want to distress him to much and as soon as he saw me he shot off

i studied marine biology and i am still in contact with some people who work in the field and at aquariams as aquarists , they suggested burping him, another said he would fart it out??? and mabye use a swim bladder treatment to help it come out

does any one know of any good treatments i could try. or any more ideas. like i say i wasnt exspecting him to be there still there when i get home this thursday but he is... if he isnt giveing up i dont want too. any more help would be greatfully appriciated

some one suggested it could be a tumor. but would this make him float?!?!... i will attach some video footage this weekend when i get home,

i thank you in advannce for any help

Dan
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Re: puffer trapped air still 6 weeks later

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I don't have any words of wisdom to offer, although I wish I did. Your little guy sounds like he deserves to live after all this time and he's still going.
I did want to say that I believe that PufferPunk has stated that puffers don't have swim bladders. Now, I don't know this for myself, but I think I recall reading a comment being made about it before. As you mentioned swim bladder medication I just thought I would mention about the possibility that he might not have one. I've often wondered about this myself from problems I've had with puffers, but I haven't come across any scientific information that confirms this, although maybe one of the other members, or PufferPunk herself can comment on the existence of a swim bladder in a puffer.

I really hope your little guy pulls through, would love to hear something good come out of this. :wink:
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

no .. puffers don't have swim bladders. That was made perfectly clear to me a while ago ...

But if your are looking for remedies for him to pass gas, yes that is an interesting question: 2 things come to mind; epsom salts and boiled peas. Don't try either without the consent of the higher ups. Both are used for constipation, but on the other hand, you may want to firm up that stool so that it pushes the air out.. I really don't know.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Definitely no swim bladders. That's come up several times. I also learned it in Bio class. :)
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Paripalu
Puffer Fry
Location (country): INDIAN

Post by Paripalu »

I've had females that had those symptoms after birth and soon passed away. If you don't mind, I would leave her in the tank to have her fry. Putting her in a breeder trap/net would be way too stressful for her. If her belly looks squared she may be close to giving birth. Not all female will stay near the bottom. You'll just have to wait and see how things turn out.
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Puffers don't give birth, so I don't think that's it.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nick, See the Mod chat about this.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
danielsturdy
Puffer Fry
Location (country): united kingdom

Post by danielsturdy »

i am currtly away from the puffer have been for 5 weeks due to been at work offshore

before i left i put it in a guppy net upside down as the dp when i got up in the morning was just floating on the surface due to been tired i assume, as the lump has got bigger so as far as my partner has said it seems quite happy in there as he just floats to the top of the net and swims around in there, and eats normally

he has been like this for 10 weeks know, i have tried everything, im from hull in the uk and i fortunatly to have the Deep submarium 6 miles from me and i went and spoke to a aquarist there,

i have not tried for constipation though, could some one please advise me, what i should do... any help is greatly appriciated... i havnt given up on the little fella yet. i will deffo try get some photos of him,

thanks in advance

Dan
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

I think epsom salts and aquarium salts will help with constipation. I can help with a dosing/schedule so someone else will have to help ya there
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

1 tbsp/10g for FW.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"