Chomper (gsp) floating on his side and curled

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer named Chomper!

Chomper (gsp) floating on his side and curled

Post by sparks42 »

Chomper has been doing very well for so long! And then this morning as I turned on his light before coming to work I noticed he was being very differnt than normal.
Normally he wakes up when I come into the room and he zips up to me and the black on his belly from sleeping fades away and within 1 minute he is fully awake and active and nice looking.

Today, he was swimming slowly around the top of the tank kinda like a zombie, LOTS of black and wasn't responding much. He seemed off balance, like he was kind of floating sideways. Then he curled up in a ball and looked somewhat puffed, like he squeezed his tail downwards, so he looked puffed. His tail stayed spread open the whole time.

I hae no water readings as I was just on my way out to work, now I'm at work and worried !!!!! His eye also looked a little bruises and sticking out, I've seen that before and that fixed itself in a few hours.
I'm afraid Little One might nip at his eye if he sees it's messed up, you know?

Is it possible he ate a stone ?

I fed them a snail I found outside last night.... which I don't normally do.....
But I cut it in half and they shared it and only Chomper is doing this....

Here is a video I took before running off to work.
I'm so worried at work here !!!!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleysparks42/4823733268/
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: Chomper (gsp) floating on his side and curled

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Please answer the questions in red.

Outdoor snails can carry horrible pesticides with them, and the fish with the lower immune system can feel the effects first.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

I am bu no means an authority but he seems a little gut loaded, possibly constipation?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

I wonder if he can have some air trapped inside him?
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

J-P wrote:I am bu no means an authority but he seems a little gut loaded, possibly constipation?
Me2 I was thinking constipation too! Sometime overfeeding fish can cause them to spine like that....

Hey how big is your GSP's and how long you had them? what size tank? feeding regime? ( these ?s have nothing to do with help. but Im trying see a pattern in GSP sizes and growth for my own research THX) They look fat and healthy.
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

SammyDee wrote:Hey how big is your GSP's and how long you had them? what size tank? feeding regime? ( these ?s have nothing to do with help. but Im trying see a pattern in GSP sizes and growth for my own research THX) They look fat and healthy.
Maybe that conversation is best left for another topic or for PMs. :)
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sparks42 »

ph is 8 - 8.2
ammonia and nitrite both at 0

In the tank is chomper and little one - both gsps

they usually eat krill, bloodworms, baby brine shrimp, mussels, and sometimes LFS snails and mealworms (rarely)
but last night they had a snail from outside, so I would guess that's what's up.
Also one small guppy from a mother that died a few months ago at the old place. when i moved, i only brought 1 guppy and left the rest behind.

75 gallons
Had him for 3 years

It's been setup here for 1.5 months, but same setup as before.

I don't know what to do ! It's been all day and he's still acting like that.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Do you guys fertilize your yard?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sparks42 »

the snail was from the forest

i believe that was the issue because he's getting better, and having horrible poops, like diarrhea it's super runny.
CarmenH
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Doug, Takifugu Ocellatus RIP :-(
Frankie, Monotrete Turgidus
Zephyr, ???Tetraodon nigroviridis???
Location (country): Ontario, Canada

Post by CarmenH »

Are they in salt water, brackish, or fresh? I noticed a guppy in the video???
Carmen
Zephyr, Giant mutant Tetraodon Nigroviridis???
Odie, Tetraodon biocellatus RIP :-(
Doug, Takifugu Ocellatus RIP :-(
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sparks42 »

brackish.
and yes there is a guppy its been there since it was born, i took the rest of the guppies out and left them behind when i moved 2 months ago and kept the smallest one in there.

Today he is swimming around and coming to say hi to me so he is much better. The only thing I notice to day is that he is still black.

Definitely better than yesterday! :)
CarmenH
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Doug, Takifugu Ocellatus RIP :-(
Zephyr, ???Tetraodon nigroviridis???
Location (country): Ontario, Canada

Post by CarmenH »

Just wanted to be sure cuz it wasn't mentioned and you never know :-) Glad he's feeling better...
Carmen
Zephyr, Giant mutant Tetraodon Nigroviridis???
Odie, Tetraodon biocellatus RIP :-(
Doug, Takifugu Ocellatus RIP :-(
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

My Jillybean gets like that when she eats too much. I suspect the problem was that your puffer is fat ;)
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.