Oh NO!! I thought he was dead but he isn't ACK

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
mrgreen
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 dwarf puffer: Squirt
2 figure 8s: Escalator & Elevator
Location (country): United States

Oh NO!! I thought he was dead but he isn't ACK

Post by mrgreen »

I just looked at my tank this morning and 9 ball was stuck to the filter intake. I gently removed him to find a two huge blister from the suction. I thought for sure he was dead but he was alive! He can't swim really, but he's breathing and his fins are going. :( What do I do with him? I doubt he can recover from such injuries and he has no swimming control anymore. :(
"Puffs puff cuz they're puffs cuz they puff cuz they're puffs. - Nathan age 12
Woodbutcher
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Dogface puffer "Blondie"
Location (country): USA

Re: Oh NO!! I thought he was dead but he isn't ACK

Post by Woodbutcher »

Sorry to hear of this. Are you able to leave him in the tank without his tank mates pestering him?
The passage of time won't make you wise,but mistakes can. If you seek wisdom ------ try to use other peoples mistakes. ImageWoodbutcher
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

mrgreen wrote:I just looked at my tank this morning and 9 ball was stuck to the filter intake. I gently removed him to find a two huge blister from the suction. I thought for sure he was dead but he was alive! He can't swim really, but he's breathing and his fins are going. :( What do I do with him? I doubt he can recover from such injuries and he has no swimming control anymore. :(
not a good way to start the day.........
do you think the filter intake issue is the primary issue, or the result of something wrong with 9 ball that has weakened him, preventing him from getting free of it?
water parameters?
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
mrgreen
Fahaka Puffer

Post by mrgreen »

He's dead. :( Have to do a water change.... Here's a pic of what his belly looked like- when he was still alive earlier. I think he was probably sick first- no healthy puffer would let himself get sucked to a filter intake, otherwise. I'm glad sorta- I was worried about which way to euthenize him.

eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

sorry mrgreen :(
do you have any other fish in the same tank?
it would be a good idea to check the water parameters before changing water, just so you'll know if there are any "chemistry Issues" present.
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
mrgreen
Fahaka Puffer

Post by mrgreen »

eieio wrote:sorry mrgreen :(
do you have any other fish in the same tank?
it would be a good idea to check the water parameters before changing water, just so you'll know if there are any "chemistry Issues" present.
Yes, I do, actually. My favorite puff! I'm just getting to the testing now.
Woodbutcher
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Dogface puffer "Blondie"
Location (country): USA

Post by Woodbutcher »

:rip: 9 Ball :(

I like your decision to do the water change. :)
The passage of time won't make you wise,but mistakes can. If you seek wisdom ------ try to use other peoples mistakes. ImageWoodbutcher
mrgreen
Fahaka Puffer

Post by mrgreen »

Oh geeze....
I think my filter has uncycled itself somehow!!

My ammonia is 0.50 and my nitrite is 1!
mrgreen
Fahaka Puffer

Post by mrgreen »

I just did as big a water change as I could- probably 90%- and thoroughly did the gravel. Then I skimmed out the junk that floated up with my fine-mesh net, when I poured in the water. I had 8ball in another container while I did the changes since I figured the less of this horrible water there was, the worse he'd be! I added half tank water and half fresh treated. He was NOT happy. He just sat in one place. Now he's back home and happy. I guess I need to retest the water soon to see if my filter has died. I don't know how it would! Hasn't been off, hasn't had anything change. I turned the temp down a bit, too, as it had been running 86 for some reason. (I always have the bubbler going.) Reads 80 right now, though. I have to solve this before I go away in a week because it would be a lot for my BF to catch a problem and do the water changes, as he doesn't live here.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Awwww... I'm so sorry mrgreen that your 9-ball died, that's really a shame. But at least he died naturally and you didn't have to euthanise him. I'm always happier when my puffers die naturally because I just can't make that decision to euthanise. I know it's necessary sometimes, but I'm wimpy when it comes to such things. :(

Anyway, very sorry for your loss and hope 8-ball stays in good health. :)
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
mrgreen
Fahaka Puffer

Post by mrgreen »

Thanks. Poor 9ball was stuck to that filter and it probably hurt a lot seeing as what his belly looked like. As for 8Ball, he's acting okay. He's in good health, so that's probably why he lived through what 9ball didn't. He always eats well and is very round and robust. The tank was pretty darned dirty. I'm gonna have my BF feed 8 ball only every other day if that. I think he'll be okay and the tank won't get so messy. I hadn't had a problem before with tank messiness- UNLESS I forgot to change it this past weekend.... My life is so crazy with kids n drs appointments and kid bdays and our vacation, etc. If I'd had to euthenize him, I was going to try an overdose of melafix in his own container. I just don't know of a better way.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Too bad you're not in this country, I've got some of that Koi Sedate and I'm sure if I added a little more than what puts them to sleep, it would be a painless way to euthanise ... so I'd let you have some. I don't think it would take much. I just don't like making that decision of "okay, you're going to die right now by my hands". I know there are times when it's kinder to do that than not, but I just hate making the decision. :(
mrgreen
Fahaka Puffer

Post by mrgreen »

schismy007 wrote:Too bad you're not in this country, I've got some of that Koi Sedate and I'm sure if I added a little more than what puts them to sleep, it would be a painless way to euthanise ... so I'd let you have some. I don't think it would take much. I just don't like making that decision of "okay, you're going to die right now by my hands". I know there are times when it's kinder to do that than not, but I just hate making the decision. :(
Oh I hear ya. I'm glad he died on his own in the net in the tank. And thanks for the offer. I was in England for 3 weeks back in 1980. I'd really love to go back. We stayed at a 3-story (not including the basement) house in the country and then a 1story that had horses. It was pretty awesome. One of the guards in the tall hats that aren't supposed to talk talked to me. I guess because I was 8- and cute. hehe
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Well I've got about an 8-oz bottle of the stuff, so if you think you might need it, I'd be okay with sending some of it to you, just keep that in mind. From one puffer-lover to another! :D
mrgreen
Fahaka Puffer

Post by mrgreen »

schismy007 wrote:Well I've got about an 8-oz bottle of the stuff, so if you think you might need it, I'd be okay with sending some of it to you, just keep that in mind. From one puffer-lover to another! :D
:yourock:

Thanks. :)