Fahaka eats her lip

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
bauk
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka - Faya
2 GSP's - Mini & Muppet
1 Samurai - Viva!

Re: Fahaka eats her lip

Post by bauk »

This is Faya when i got her 3 days.. 21-10-08

This one from 23-12-08

From 11-01-09

And from 19-03-09
Round then she began to 'eat' her lip..

So she had them, but now they are gone.. :?

Maybee it is because of the sand, this one in her new tank is coarser than the sand in her old tank...
I Can't think an other reason...
Addicted to my monsters! :D
kxebs
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1x Fahaka, 1x Dwarf Puffer

Post by kxebs »

She has a "granny-with-no-teeth lips" look ;) hehehe

But like I told you today earlier when I noticed she didn't had the upper teeth, maybe because of an infection earlier on it never healed 100% and made her upper teeth go away. One idea is to completely trim her bottom teeth so the infection can heal... But I know it's not one of your favorites..
bauk
Figure 8 Puffer
2 GSP's - Mini & Muppet
1 Samurai - Viva!

Post by bauk »

I've looked al my pic's of Faya and i can't fing any marks of an infection... In the first 2 months that she was here she's going from very big teeth to no teeth.. but i realy have no idea why.. :(
With a snail i've tried to look better in her mouth, but there is nothingh strange to see.. no wounds, no teeth and no blood or anything.. It realy looks like a granny with no teeth anymore in her upper jaw.. it is realy all gone...

I think this is a veeeeeeery strange thing for a puffer.. and i've never heard of it before..so i realy have no idea what is the best thing that i can do so that Faya is not finding problems with her Granny look :P
groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1X Dwarf Puffer, 1X Auriglobus Silus

Post by groovitudedude »

I'd just like to point out that the fahaka looks rather young/small. It is pretty unlikely that it is overgrown teeth, but rather an unproportional bite like Nick (I think) said.
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
bauk
Figure 8 Puffer
2 GSP's - Mini & Muppet
1 Samurai - Viva!

Post by bauk »

I don't understand all that you say.. Faya is older than 19 months and she is 18.5cm.. She don't have a unproportional (?) bite..like you can see on the pic's. But in the 8 months before i had her she has been neglected (very little and bad food and very small tank).. That's the reason why she not looks like an other Fahaka ;)
bauk
Figure 8 Puffer
2 GSP's - Mini & Muppet
1 Samurai - Viva!

Post by bauk »

Nobody an idea what I can do or how it can be??
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Posted my best diagnosis and theory already, disproportionate bottom teeth. I'd still guess the best bet is to proportionately(without doing harm( overtrim the lower teeth so they don't overbite enough to cut the lip, and feed soft foods until her entire beak is proportionate enough to pinch shut without hitting her lips. I'm really just guessing though, this isn't a common condition. I suppose it's possible she decided to chew something way too hard all on her own(maybe gravel?) and snapped her uppers teeth nearly off.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

There is a possibility the upper teeth have broken off on something very hard but they may grow back eventually. If you do decide to tranquilize her, you can look at her upper plate & trim her lower ones.

If you can get Melafix near you, I'd keep it in the tank at all times to help her lip heal, if it continues to get damaged by the lower teeth.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bauk
Figure 8 Puffer
2 GSP's - Mini & Muppet
1 Samurai - Viva!

Post by bauk »

I really have no idea what it is or how it happens every time.. She doesn't get any more 'hard' food, only soft shrimp's and it looks that it is now a scar. It wasn't open anymore and it looks like Faya doesn't have a problem with it, so it's fine for me :D

Thx voor al the advice! I hope that her teeth doesn't grow anymore, because i doooooooon't want to cut her teeth :goodevil:
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

You might just have to continue to feed soft foods and trim her teeth periodically.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
bauk
Figure 8 Puffer
2 GSP's - Mini & Muppet
1 Samurai - Viva!

Post by bauk »

She only eats soft food now. And that trimming.. i don't understand why people say that al the time.. her teeth are sow little, upper and under, why should i trim them? They are max 2mm... you can not trim that! So why put her under anesthesia? That is only stress...

Don't get me wrong, if her teeth are getting big, i would do it, but with very little teeth.. it is not necessary.. :)

Her scar, like what it is now, is fine. It is not getting bigger and Faya seems to have no problem with it :D
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Of course, you would only trim them when they get too long.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!