Need Advice in Getting a Fish To Eat

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
daphne
Puffer Fry

Need Advice in Getting a Fish To Eat

Post by daphne »

I have a 75 gallon freshwater community South American tank with corys, hoplos, plecos, otos (I cheated on this species), Lemon tetras, hatchetfish, etc. etc. Anyway, my poor female callichthys got a bump on her nose and it steadily got worse. Now, she's in a hospital tank with a fairly neutral ph at 80 degrees or so - keeping the ammonia at zero obviously - and I'm trying to get her to eat.

She's being treated with Melafix, Kanaplex, and Neoplex. These things have stopped the nose rot. They problem is that unless she eats, she's not going to be able to grow back any skin or barbels. I'm using cubes of frozen bloodworms warmed to room temperature soaked in Garlic Guard. I have to use tweezers to dangle the worms in front of her "nose" to get her to eat; and even then we're talking only one or two bloodworms a day. I'm getting desperate here. She lets me put the food in her mouth, but it's so hard to get her to eat. I think that she can't sense the food because of the nose rot.

Does anyone have advice for me? She's such a dear sweet little girl, and now that her condition isn't worsening, it would be a true shame if she died from starvation.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine. My aquariums could use a little Stress Coat. Wish I could Stress Coat the entire human race.

75 Gallon Amazon tank - hoplos, corys, bolivian rams, red-eyed tetras, black skirt tetras and one pleco in need of a 125 gallon tank. PM me if you live near Tacoma.
5 Gallon tank - A small school of glowlight tetras and a wonderful, crazy mob of ghost shrimp.
15 tall Gallon Asian tank - Harlequins, Black Kuhlis, cherry and wood shrimp, and snails. Always the snails...
All live plants. All the time.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Need Advice in Getting a Fish To Eat

Post by Pufferpunk »

Have you tried live bloodworms? Be sure to soak any foods in liquid vitamins. I'm glad she's getting better.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
daphne
Puffer Fry

Post by daphne »

I haven't. With the storms here it's going to be until tomorrow until I can get to Tacoma for good foods. If the store has live bloodworms, I'll try them, as she's not eating a thing. I honestly don't know what to do. I'm actually putting the food in her mouth and she won't swallow.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine. My aquariums could use a little Stress Coat. Wish I could Stress Coat the entire human race.

75 Gallon Amazon tank - hoplos, corys, bolivian rams, red-eyed tetras, black skirt tetras and one pleco in need of a 125 gallon tank. PM me if you live near Tacoma.
5 Gallon tank - A small school of glowlight tetras and a wonderful, crazy mob of ghost shrimp.
15 tall Gallon Asian tank - Harlequins, Black Kuhlis, cherry and wood shrimp, and snails. Always the snails...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Make sure her water is pristene, no ammonia/nitrite & low nitrate.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
daphne
Puffer Fry

Post by daphne »

Thanks. It's hard because there's so much uneaten food. I'm doing water changes every other day.

daphne
Puffer Fry

Post by daphne »

Update -

This is just crazy. I haven't see her eat for three weeks. She's only 4 inches long including her fins, so I ask, could she be eating after I turn out the lights? Otherwise, how is this possible?

Husbandthing bought me some Zoecon, which I'm soaking her blood worms in along with the Garlic Guard. We've switched medications on the urging of our local fish guy, and now we're just waiting to see what happens. To be honest, I'd have put her down last week, but she's hanging on. I promised myself that she'd get a chance with the new medicine; and if she didn't show any new tissue after it, I'd have to make the hard decision. But at least now every time she inhales water, she's getting something, no matter how small.

Weird, isn't it. People spend money on dogs, cats, even guinea pigs (me) because they're tangible pets; and yet it's so easy to feel a close attachment to an animal that you can't pet or pick up just for the appreciation of its need for care and to be able to watch it live.

I sure love those damned fish.

pinkfloydpuffer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: C. travancoricus: Kensington
Location (country): USA

Post by pinkfloydpuffer »

Poor thing. Have you tried VitaChem? That is really great stuff, especially along with the garlicguard.
It's possible that she's eating when the lights are out. Most catfish are more nocturnal usually.
80 gal brackish-3 Green spotted puffers
20 gal planted freshwater- dwarf puffers, south american puffer, ghost shrimps
10 gal planted freshwater-female crowntail bettas, L-187b Thomasi pleco, trilineatus cories
10 gal freshwater divided-crowntail betta, male and female halfmoon dragon bettas
5 gal freshwater-red cherry shrimps
goby1kenobi
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: one GSP: Random
Location (country): Chicagoland

Post by goby1kenobi »

Something I found over at the Gel-Tek web site:
Ultra Gro VX is an amazing vitamin and mineral rich dietary supplement that is safe for all fish especially herbivores, plant, algae, and filter feeders. Scientifically formulated with an premium blend of Spirulina and other essential nutrients, Ultra Gro VX utilizes the latest advances in Gel-Teknology to provide superior additional nutrition for a healthier and stronger immune system. Ultra Gro VX contains fish pheromones to entice and enhance feeding behavior without clouding the aquarium water.
See http://aq-products.com/GelTek/ultragrovx.htm ... I may try adding this to Random's krill a couple of times a week.
tank: saltwater 55g, one 5" GSP named Random (mka Puff)
daphne
Puffer Fry

Post by daphne »

If she can hang on, I'll see if I can find these. This evening, I managed to get a bloodworm into her mouth and she swallowed. If I can get something into the water, then at least she'll be inhaling it. I even thought of getting the partner to Zoecon, Zoe, because it would be in the water proper.

I do wonder what's going on when the lights are out, too. I'm not very optimistic, and it looks like she won't pull through, but I have to make sure she gets every chance. Thanks so much for your advice.

DRRT
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: none cuz they eat coral, so i like chase wild ones
Location (country): USA

Post by DRRT »

keep at it. hopefully the fish will start eating soon. I've used zoe and zoecon in conjunction and I've had no problems. i also add vitamin c due to pp's article.
i'm busy thinking of ways to remember what i was going to say
cthoughts1
Puffer Fry

Post by cthoughts1 »

Hey how are you? Hope I'm not too late.. You can try "Garlic x-treme" by Kent... It really works wonders! I can't say enough about it. It's pretty much a food soak. You drop 1-3 drops in a little container (or shot glass like I do) and a little tank water and the food. Let it soad a couple of minutes or so and put it in the tank slowly... Haven't had a fish yet who hasn't eaten after I tried this.. Some will gain their appetite slower than others, but they'll definitely be eating.. Wish you the best of luck.. Oh and remember not to overfeed.. =)
daphne
Puffer Fry

Post by daphne »

Thank you all so much. Cally (Ichtys) died yesterday morning. She would not eat no matter the type of food or the atmosphere given. I think, in the end, that her nose was so damaged that she couldn't detect food.

She hung on for six weeks, and I did all I could. It was actually quite emotional, letting her go. I remember her being in the tank for over 3 years always just being so sweet and doing what nature intended for her to do - be a fish in an Amazon atmosphere. I will miss her.

I'm sorry, Cally.

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Hey, stuff happens. It's not like you can ask her what she needs. That's the problem with animals; you can talk to them, but they can't answer.

If this ever happens with another puffer in the future, I've heard that soaking food in water with a little garlic before feeding can help. Idk.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!