GSP has HUGE air pocket, burping not working, help he's dyin

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
pufferpoison
Puffer Fry

GSP has HUGE air pocket, burping not working, help he's dyin

Post by pufferpoison »

My puffer is about 3 years old and is about 5 inches long. he's always been a great eater and since this isn't a water cond. problem i'll skip the parameters, etc.

He has a huge air pocked on the left side right behind the side fin. I've read on how to burp them and have tried around 10-12 seperate times to burp him, head up holding on to his body with one hand and using the other hand to "push" the air pocket up. I did get a little air to come out but it's not nearly enough. He's floating at the top of the tank most of the time with the air pocket "floating" at the top. I've gotten pretty aggressive on squeezing him and am afraid if I do it any harder, i'm going to hurt him. He won't eat and doesn't even put up a fight when I grab him. he just lets me grab him and if something isn't done very, very soon, he's going to die.

Thanks in advance for ANY help or ideas.

P.S. I know this sounds very stupid, but has anybody (please don't flame me for this) used a syringe and tried to extract the air that way? I am trying to think of anything to save his life.

Shawn
90 Reef tank (in the works)
55G FW
29G BW GSP, Mono argenteus
blondenblue
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: A M. leiurus Called Puffle!
A MBU Called Moob

Re: GSP has HUGE air pocket, burping not working, help he's dyin

Post by blondenblue »

i put a post on here the other day about a dogface with an air pocket. and someone replied to hold them head up and shake it, you could try that. i must admit when my husband grabbed the dogface it puffed and when it deflated it pushed out all the air. sorry i couldn't be of more help.
Lis
pufferpoison
Puffer Fry

Post by pufferpoison »

I even tried shaking him, I wish I could get him to puff up and try that but this pocket is just stuck. What is bad is that he won't even try to fight me when I grab him.
55G FW
StormySkiez
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 55G 2- 1 3/4 inch GSP's ~Bud AKA Jaws and Puff~

Post by StormySkiez »

Here is the article on burping a puffer. I hope it helps.

library/hospital/help-my-puffer-is-air-filled/
55g-2 green spotted puffers 1 year old Nov 08!
20g-5 leopard danio,4 whiteskirt tetras, amanos, nerita snails, 2 neon tetras
apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 fahaka 2 gsp
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs
1 sap and thats just the puffers!!! So i'm a little fish crazy

Post by apachepufferman »

i don't know if a syringe would work. If they use there stomach to puff with then i would try a syringe but it might be a different chamber in there body. If it isn't a different chamber then a syringe with the top off so its more of just a funnel might be better. You wouldn't wanna start pulling back on the syringe and suck any intenstines up; that would be instantly bad. Just keep the top of the open syringe above the water and the air might just escape through that.
I don't know for certain on any of that info but trying to suck air out just sounds like it could end in a more serious problem.
good luck
adam
apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs

How did he get the air pocket? Did you move him out of the tank? If he didn't puff above the water are you sure its even air? It could be something else if thats the case and you might be going in the wrong direction. Maybe a pic would help with ideas as well.
adam
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this. Maybe you aren't shaking hard enough? I think you really need to get him to puff with water & then he can expel the air with the water.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
edmlfc1
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Elvis (Stars & Stripes) R.I.P. 9/11/11
125G:Fahaka (Annabelle)
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by edmlfc1 »

How is your puffer?
Need to know what kind of puffer you have? Click on Puffer ID.....Puffer ID: ug.php/v/PufferPedia/
What to feed your puffer? Click on Feeding......
Feeding: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
Have a GSP, need more information......Click on GSP Article.....
GSP Article: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
pufferpoison
Puffer Fry

Post by pufferpoison »

i've tried to take a couple pictures but you can't really see too good. I went and bought some batteries for my good camera and will try to get a few up tonight. He's still alive but won't eat and doesn't float all the time, most of the time now he's been staying close to the bottom, but the pocket of air is still there, it just doesn't look as big as before.
55G FW
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

How are the parameters?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
g18rst
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Stars and Stripes puffer living in a 70 gallon with a picaso trigger and niger trigger.

Post by g18rst »

Hi,

Ive had my puffer for a few months now and hes been really happy, yesterday i noticed he was in a cave with his bum in the air as if he was trying to swim down or rather holding himself down. Ive noticed today that it looks like he has a big bubble of air as described earlier in thread, behind his fin on the left side., ive netted him and tried to hold him up and shake but ive had no luck, how do i get him to puff ?

He`s not been out of the tank so i have no idea how it has happened, below is rubbish pic you can just see what i mean.

Any help on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James
g18rst
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Stars and Stripes puffer living in a 70 gallon with a picaso trigger and niger trigger.

Post by g18rst »

Ive just had him in my hand completely puffed up and i could see food moving around but the air is stuck in his bum. Will he poo it out or like trump?

He is well stressed now and probably wont be my friend for weeks.

Pufferpoison, how is yours?
apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs

PP is this somewhat common? Its seems odd to me that a puffer who hasn't been out of the water can get an air bubble. Could it be something else?
adam
g18rst
Puffer Fry

Post by g18rst »

Could it be that he has jumped out of the water and taken a deep breath? The odd thing is that the air is definatley not in his stomach.
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

Puffers can get air in their stomach by eating freeze dried food that hasn't been soaked before served. Freeze dried food contains much air, and that can give puffers this trouble.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin