Fig 8 with bump- UPDATE! string out of bump and stringy poo

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

Fig 8 with bump- UPDATE! string out of bump and stringy poo

Post by my name is mike »

Here is the update --- last night there was a little string coming out of the abscess (or whatever it is) -- it was about as long as the bump --- also, this morning i saw stringy poo -- this is the first time ive seen this with him -- he is really round and fat, so i dont think its internal parasites -- i have delt with IPs before and the puffer got really skinny fast --

based on previous advice, i have started treating with melafix -- and been doing it for about 3 days

PLEASE HELP ! --- i dont know what to do

This is the original post ------------------

My "baby" figure 8 who is about 1.5" has a growth on his cheek -- it started small, like a little grain of sand , but has grown quite large, to the point that it worries me -- as you can see in the pictures, its almost as large as his eye --- he is acting and eating totally normal, no weight loss, no tuning black or anything -- -- i remember another member on the forum with a figure 8 growth (a nematode? or something) but i cant seem to find the post. If my memory serves right, he was going to do surgery - yikes ! any advice would be helpful

Ammonia, nitrite - 0
SG 1.005
Nirtate - never over 10
Weekly water changes of 25%
there have been no changes to the tank (other than water changes)

Thanks,

Mike
Last edited by my name is mike on Thu May 01, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Re: Figure 8 with bump on face - please help !

Post by Nick »

Could be an abscess - does it seem to have fluid in it?
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

hard to tell -- it looks very much like a pimple, but since its on the white part of his body, you cant tell if its filled with anything ya know ?? - it just looks like a little volcano on the side of his face --
Mike
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Oh goodness, that's ugly isn't it...

It is probably either a tumor or a nematode. Does it move or change position at all? If not, but its growing, then my guess would be a tumor. Nematodes are *usually* either active and moving or dormant and still, or so I understand it.

My turgidus gets something similar when he doesn't like his water supply, even with low nitrates. White, pimple like bumps. Give him some water changes with 50/50 RO/tap water, and they go away. But they heal up and show up somewhere else on him.. how long has this been here? If its just a few days I'd concentrate on using melafix and maybe some RO water and see what happens. If its been several weeks and this is the only spot its happening in, I'd lean more towards a tumor or parasite, and hopefully someone will have some advice on how to treat it.
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

thanks myaj -- its definately been a few weeks -- but it started out really small -- i barely noticed it -- but its grown recently -- my water source has been the same throughout , but i could get some RO and try that --

i do have melafix and could dose that --- but it has been there for a while, so it could be tumor or parasite like you said --- scary stuff
Mike
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Well, clean water and melafix never hurts, so I'd start there while waiting for more imput. It looks very similar to what Bubba gets, but his showed up within weeks of moving to a new water source. I just moved this past week, and with the new water source, his skin has completely cleared up (I wasn't having time for RO water while getting ready to move). There was just something in the water at the old place that didn't agree with him.
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

will do , thanks!

i've never used RO , just tap,l but maybe its time to try it
Mike
Mareva
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 3 DPs: Borneo, Palua and Fidji!

Post by Mareva »

ok, this information has not been looked up in scientific papers, but I've been told by an doctor owning puffers that puffers never get cancer, they have this really special DNA that never go wrong (and make cells turn into cancer). I know tetraodons are being studied a lot for their DNA, but I don't know if it's for their non cancer ability... Has anyone heard it before? If this is comfirmed, it'd mean to rule out cancer from the possible diagnosis...
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

that would be good -- i dont think i could afford puffer chemo !
Mike