Help....my GSP doesn't want to eat...

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
PhoenixAngel
Puffer Fry

Help....my GSP doesn't want to eat...

Post by PhoenixAngel »

I have two GSP, one of which is hardly eating. It shows interest in the food and will pick at it and eat some of it. But, he won't eat much. His other tank mate, has kept his appetite, and eats until he's nicely rounded. I'm somewhat concerned about the skinny one. He hasn't been eating much for the past couple weeks. When I got them earlier they both had very healthy appetites.

-My water parameters are pH: 8.2, ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0, nitrates: 10. The SG is about 1.002.

-They live in a 55gal, just the two of them. They have no other tankmates. I have two AquaClear 110's for filtration.

-I feed once a day and fast once or twice a week depending on their belly size. They eat live feeder shrimp, small feeder crayfish, and snails. Frozen food are clams and bits of scallops which I soak in Selcon before feeding. I do water changes every two weeks. I use NovAqua+ as a water conditioner and Instant Ocean salt.

-In the last week I haven't done any water changes, and I just checked my water quality.

-My aquarium has been running for about four or five months. I cycled my tank by transferring my old filter onto the new tank and running it for about a week. Before adding my puffers.

I have tried switching up my puffers food and handfeeding, but he still doesn't have much of an appetite. His beak looks fine to me. I was looking through the library and I was wondering if he might have internal parasites? The only dewormer listed I could find was Praziquantel, PraziPro by Aquarium Solutions. The directions say it is to be used as a bath. Is it possible to use it orally and soak the frozen food in it? Could it be something else that is affecting it? I don't want to stress or possibly kill it by treating it for things it doesn't have. :(
SpockthePuffer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: A wee GSP named Milton

Re: Help....my GSP doesn't want to eat...

Post by SpockthePuffer »

It sounds like he has internal parasites. PraziPro should work and you should just soak the food in that. I'm not exactly sure on how much to use, hopefully someone who has some experience with the meds will come along soon.
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when clearly it is Ocean." - Arthur C. Clarke

~Shannon~
10g betta & snail tank, 30g GSP named Milton, 55g sw fowlr
seacowz
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Puffy, my little baby GSP! <3

Post by seacowz »

as far as getting a gsp to eat mine has never refused an earthworm from the backyard (his absolute favorite!), but i only give them to him because i never use any fertilizers or pesticides! you could try that just to get some nutrition into him.
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

Is hisbelly indented?
Try soaking the food in garlic and see if that gets him to eat, if it doesn't treat with Praziquantel. I'm almost positive you can just treat the tank with prazi to kill off all the IP.
PhoenixAngel
Puffer Fry

Post by PhoenixAngel »

seacowz wrote:as far as getting a gsp to eat mine has never refused an earthworm from the backyard (his absolute favorite!), but i only give them to him because i never use any fertilizers or pesticides! you could try that just to get some nutrition into him.
I'm afraid to feed earthworms, my family doesn't use any fertilizers or pesticides, but my neighbors use alot. :(
crazedpuffer wrote:Is hisbelly indented?
Try soaking the food in garlic and see if that gets him to eat, if it doesn't treat with Praziquantel. I'm almost positive you can just treat the tank with prazi to kill off all the IP.

His belly isn't indented. He's usually just got a smooth almost flat belly. When I feed them, his belly will get just a little definition. While his greedy tankmate will get nicely rounded. I've even tried separating them during feeding, hoping that it would encourage him to eat more. and stop the other one from pigging out on his uneaten portion. But, it doesn't really help. He just picks at his food.

I'm in Hawaii, and the selection of fish meds are very slim, no one here carries garlic remedies. Alot of the places I went to don't even know about it. I could order it online, but it would take about a week or so. Would it be better to order the garlic? Or should I just use the prazi? Also, if I use the prazi, do I just soak his food in it...straight from the bottle? Or is there a dosage?
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(
Location (country): USA

Post by Jase »

If you can't get garlic for fish, get garlic for people. it will have the same effect and prolly cheaper. I would not treat if it doesn't appear to be IPs, cause puffers are very sensitive to medication. have you read the pumpkin seed article in the library?
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
edmlfc1
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Elvis (Stars & Stripes) R.I.P. 9/11/11
125G:Fahaka (Annabelle)
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by edmlfc1 »

If there is an Academy near you they sell live bloodworms & live giant mealworms. This is where I get mine.
Need to know what kind of puffer you have? Click on Puffer ID.....Puffer ID: ug.php/v/PufferPedia/
What to feed your puffer? Click on Feeding......
Feeding: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
Have a GSP, need more information......Click on GSP Article.....
GSP Article: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
The new owner of a Canthigaster jactator

Post by Happy_Puffer »

My GSP is doing the same thing. I have had him for about 2 weeks. I did 2 w/c's last week because my nitrite levels were high now all my levels are 0 and my ph is about 7.2. He was eating just fine then after I started doing the w/c's then he started getting weird. I used prime and salt. He just got over ich and I have fed him alomost everything I can think of. I have fed him freeze dried krill, plankton and bloodworms. Then I have tried ghost shrimp, snails and frozen bloodworms. I have also fed him a few other things that I can't think of right now but he is very unhappy he swims up and down when he isn't laying the the plants losing his color. I have so many hiding places and he doesn't care about any of them. Hes in a 14 gallon right now because my other tank sprang leak and I don't have the money to get it fixed. I dont know what to do. He hasn't eating in like 3 days (at least not that I know of) and I don't know what to do anymore!
*Katie*
The new owner of a salt water tank
StormySkiez
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 55G 2- 1 3/4 inch GSP's ~Bud AKA Jaws and Puff~

Post by StormySkiez »

PhoenixAngel wrote:
I have tried switching up my puffers food and handfeeding, but he still doesn't have much of an appetite. His beak looks fine to me. I was looking through the library and I was wondering if he might have internal parasites? The only dewormer listed I could find was Praziquantel, PraziPro by Aquarium Solutions. The directions say it is to be used as a bath. Is it possible to use it orally and soak the frozen food in it? Could it be something else that is affecting it? I don't want to stress or possibly kill it by treating it for things it doesn't have. :(
I agree with Crazedpuffer. If you can't get him to eat using garlic then I would treat for IP. Some treat for IP's as a preventitive before any signs of IP. Since not eating is a sign of IP you may want to start treatment now. The IP article here states you can soak the food in Praziquantel but if he is not eating that would be useless.

Quote:
Praziquantel. Praziquantel, which, in the US, goes by the brand name Droncit, is another alternative.

As with the other medications, the medication is best provided orally — but prolonged immersion, and more concentrated baths, are viable - albeit less efective and more stressful — alternatives.

TPF Mentor Kelly, AKA Puffer Queen, has been using Praziquantel to treat puffers for years….and uses the dosages recommended by Noga in Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatment. This is the book most public aquariua use as a reference. Noga’s recommendations are as follows:

Orally: 23mg/pound of body weight x one treatment. This of course would require the fish to be eating or would have to be tube fed.

If the fish is not eating: Baths — 38 mg/gallon for 3 hours. Prolonged Immersion — 7.6 to 38 mg/gallon for 24 hours
Happy_Puffer wrote:My GSP is doing the same thing. I have had him for about 2 weeks. I did 2 w/c's last week because my nitrite levels were high now all my levels are 0 and my ph is about 7.2. He was eating just fine then after I started doing the w/c's then he started getting weird....
Nitrites as you know will harm the puffer and cause stress. Stress can lead to IP's taking over the puffer. Since his belly has never fattened up that might have been the first sign of IP. You might want to treat for IP's if you can't get your puffer to eat asap. Read this article for treatment of IP's: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... treatment/

I hope both of your puffers get better soon!
55g-2 green spotted puffers 1 year old Nov 08!
20g-5 leopard danio,4 whiteskirt tetras, amanos, nerita snails, 2 neon tetras
Agnate
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: -

1 Abei Puffer [Monotrete Abei]
(Captain Abe)

Post by Agnate »

If he's not eating *any* food and you have the PraziPro, there is a way that you might be able to treat him. Set up the bath as they suggest on the PraziPro directions, but make sure to use freshwater (no salt). Then, once the bath is set up (at the same temperature, I believe), move him immediately from his brackish tank into the bath (don't acclimate him to fresh). The sudden change in salinity will force him to take in water in order to equalize the level of salt in his body to the freshwater. The act of taking in water (thus ingesting it) will cause him to ingest a significant amount of the PraziPro contained in the bath. I'm not sure how long you should leave him in here (I assume the PraziPro suggests a reasonable time, likely something like 5-10 minutes), after which you can return him to his residence (probably by acclimating him using a drip method and some new, freshwater).

I forget who suggested this, but I believe it was either Corvus or Woland (sorry if I mix up who suggested it). Do a search through the Hospital forum (using the option at the top) and see if you can find their exact instructions.

Hopefully this helps with the presumed IPs! Do you happen to have a picture of what he looks like with a sunken belly and whatnot? Might help us to give the definite verdict, but it seems likely that he has IPs, especially since he won't eat the food and the water parameters seem to be good.
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. Donations may also be made via PayPal.

- Paul

40 gallon - Future home of Abei Puffer
28 gallon - 1 Abei Puffer (Captain Abe)
5 gallon - 1 Betta (Frederico)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Excellent suggestion! When using human garlic, just dice finely & squish the juice out of it, to soak the food.
I cycled my tank by transferring my old filter onto the new tank and running it for about a week. Before adding my puffers.
Although your tank does seem to be cycled now, any live bacteria in that filter died off within 24-48 hours. If you are cycling in that way, you must feed the bacteria with some kind of ammonia source.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Happy_Puffer »

Sorry about the pictures I know they aren't very good. I just tried feeding him frozen bloodworms and he was right next to him and he acted blind like he couldn't see the food right next to him. If you want to see a picture of him before I have one in my gallery his name is Loki. I just want to help him. My figure 8 is starting to act the same way. I don't know if its their teeth, because I haven't been able to give them snails since I can't find them and my mom won't let me have a snail tank. I don't want my puffers to die. Loki was so full of life when I got him now he looks like hes not going to make it.
*Katie*
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Happy_Puffer »

All of my lfs only carry this stuff called General Cure
* Anti-parasitic fish medication rapidly treats a wide variety of parasitic diseases
* Effective fish medication for use in fresh and saltwater aquariums
* Treats diseases such as gill & skin flukes, hole-in-the-head disease, anchor worm, velvet, and fish lice.

Its a powder and I wanted to know if this is ok to give to my puffers. I don't think they can wait for me to order something, he has been sick for like 3 days now and is just wasteing away! Please help!
*Katie*
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

What's in it?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Happy_Puffer »

Easy-to-use fish medication contains metronidazole and praziquantel in quick-dissolve powder form. Treats a wide variety of parasitic diseases - including velvet, anchor worm, fish lice, hole-in-the-head disease, and gill and skin flukes. Will not color water. For use in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. Each packet doses 10 gallons. NEW economical 850 gram bulk jar doses up to 3,270 gallons and includes a 1 tsp scoop.
That is from Dr. Foster and Smith website. I don't know if I can use this on puffers but I can't find any of the other meds at my lfs and I want to help him now hes getting worse. After I took those pictures he hasn't moved and every time I look over at the tank I think hes dead and have to go over and check.
Sorry I forgot to add that its by API
*Katie*