Tank Calculators & Conversions

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Tank Calculators & Conversions

Post by RTR »

For most of my set-ups I do actual working measured volumes at first filling, write that down and keep it. Some set-ups have little substrate or rorkwork, others have so much of both that I have to add sump(s) for needed volume. Phones are not me - I am moderate/severely visually handicapped and most phones are useless without better vision than I have. Most of you would be horrified if you watched me reading on-line or with my CCTV enlarger/color changer. As many books as possible I listen to rather than reading.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

RTR wrote:Especially if you add the prominent warning that tank nominal sizes have no relationship to reality - other than that the reality is always smaller, sometimes a lot smaller.
Huge +1 to this, too many people think an x size tank holds x amount of water, it actually holds about t lol. I know what I mean
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Quite a few folks use approximately 70% of nominal volume as a possible working volume. I do have some tanks that fit into that approximation, but when you have a FOWLR set-up, I am unlikely to have even a 50% of nominal volume display. Heavy rock-work such as Rift lake tanks can have the same effect. That is part of why all of my tanks are set with measured initial working volumes. I am willing to do extra work up-front to avoid issues later.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

the 70% I use as a guide for FW tanks. SW is a totally different beast and needs to be measured accordingly. A perfect example would be deep sand beds vs shallow, then -30% or more for live rock. So yes the actual holding volume of water what the label states and the actual living space is reduced greatly.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

It is amazing how many folks never think about what their tanks' working volumes really are.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Agreed, approximations are a good guideline but nothing comes close to knowing exactly what your tank holds once decor etc is in.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly