RO Water Automation Big Plans

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
AlibiStellatus
Puffer Fry
Location (country): British Columbia, Canada

RO Water Automation Big Plans

Post by AlibiStellatus »

So I want to build up a RO system on a fairly large scale, similar to this video I found:

RO/DI storage/salwater mixing station and Automatic Water Change system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmD4Y9qhcXM

I want to attach the system to the water line in my laundry room as it is adjacent to the room my tank will be going in as well as providing easy access to a drain for water changes. Here's what I am thinking:
  1. Run a washer line off the cold water inlet
  2. Attach a "Y" fitting with a line for the washer and a line for the RO
  3. Attach an in-line ball valve (in case of emergency or for vacations, etc) with a drain for filling/misc. access to water
  4. Adapt the line to fit the RO supply line to the filter
  5. Add a tank so that there is a ready supply of RO water (X gallons)
  6. Implement a float valve for the ATO reservoir (in sump or external in the room)
  7. Drain the waste water line out the washer drain

If anyone has any experience running this kind of system I would greatly appreciate any advice or perhaps a simplified way (with less parts to reduce leaking) to go about this. I am also wondering how I would integrate the saltwater reservoir into this system for water changes (not necessarily automated at this point) where I could drain the tank into the same drain as the RO and allow a fill from the saltwater reservoir via pump. I'm assuming I would need some sort of water line sensor in my tank to automate the water change but I'm thinking that will be a bad thing should the water level lower due to evaporation and not a water change :?:

I have so much to learn in the area of automation when it comes to the hobby. I do want to start with a way to get better water into the tank without having to carry so many buckets!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: RO Water Automation Big Plans

Post by Pufferpunk »

Talk to the folks at www.bulkreefsupply.com. They are very helpful!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
AlibiStellatus
Puffer Fry

Post by AlibiStellatus »

Pufferpunk wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:32 pm Talk to the folks at www.bulkreefsupply.com. They are very helpful!
Yeah! I've been watching all their videos and especially the ones on the RO systems to figure out my needs.
AlibiStellatus
Puffer Fry

Post by AlibiStellatus »

I ended up going to Home Depot and speaking with a guy in the fittings section. He proved to be very helpful and after looking at my idea, he made the parts list a lot smaller (and quite a bit cheaper as well). All in all it will cost about $60 CDN (not including the RO filter and RO tank) and here's what he came up with:

Eliminating the line between the cold water shut off as well as the extra RO fittings keeps everything brass/steel which I liked better than the plastic. It also enables me to run the 1/4 inch RO line directly from the reducer into the RO filter :grats: and then I thought... why would I purchase another float valve when there's one in my sump already (duh) and eliminate the ATO tank in my sump freeing up some more space down there. Saves more money and allows room for more useful wall mounted gear.

Overall I like the looks of this option and the cost is pretty hard to beat unless the parts go on sale. Now I just need to see what your thoughts are on the size of RO tank, research a few options for the RO filter itself as well as any tips before going out and putting this all together!