Transition from 7 to 8 pH

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
cds333
Puffer Fry
Location (country): East Coast USA

Transition from 7 to 8 pH

Post by cds333 »

So I got two puffers from walmart (nobody else sells them around here) and they are in freshwater 7.0 pH. I intend to transfer them into a 20L with crushed coral which as you know will buffer water to 8, which is what these guys prefer. Right now I have them in 7 that is heavily phosphate buffered (neutral regulator) due to my extremely low pH well water.

What is the recommended way to get them from 7 to 8?

The highest pH one can achieve with a phosphate buffer is around 7.6, such as with alkaline regulator, which I plan to start adding gradually, but is it even possible to temporarily drop the pH of the crushed coral tank with a carbonate such as acid buffer so they don't have to get shocked by going from 7.6 to 8?

I have been told that the nature of phosphates make them much more stable than carbonates so simply adding alkaline carbonate to the phosphate tank is not likely going to work. I have tried using carbonate buffers acid/alkaline buffer in my other tanks in the past and the pH was not very stable, whereas with NR it stays pretty much exactly wherever it lands.

Please advise,

Thanks in advance!
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: Transition from 7 to 8 pH

Post by pufferjw »

It would help to know what species of puffer, sometimes they can tolerate a pH slightly different from what is recommended. The only thing that I would suggest doing aside from adding crushed coral is to add more oxygen, as that will push out CO2, thus lowering kH.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
cds333
Puffer Fry
Location (country): East Coast USA

Post by cds333 »

One GSP and one F8.

The last two healthy specimens after the idiots dept manager at WM threw them in with aggressive cichlids. They were constantly defending the corner of small tank against attacks. I finally got the guy to put the last F8 who wasn't doing so well into another tank where he could get some rest. They didn't even know that GSPs and F8s are different species, and only had one label and SKU number. Anyway I took two of them home and they developed ich in QT which seems to have since been treated with higher temps and a little marine salt.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Eventually (sooner than later) these 2 species will need to be separated.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"