Reducing flow from AC 50

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
moh
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United States, Illinois

Reducing flow from AC 50

Post by moh »

Hey guys, Im posting yet again (sorry). So as suggested by the awesome people on this forum, I had invested in an aquaclear filter. I wanted to over filter as I was told pea puffers (or puffers in general) need over filtration. Now that I have the 20 gallon tank up and running and Im still cycling it, I am seeing that the current is VERY strong on the low setting. Its blowing my plants around very hard. So I need suggestions! Ive came up with the below ideas/found them on google.

A) Put a filter on the intake to slow the filtration (not a big fan of this - I got a larger filter for a reason)

B) I could cut a pop bottle and put it around the output to diffuse some of the current.

C) I could buy a replacement sponge for the filter, cut a slit in it and push it onto the output tray of the filter. Then tie the sponge in place using fishing line around the housing for the filter. I like this idea, but this would slow or stop the water from agitating the surface and thus negatively effect oxygen levels in the tank, wouldnt it?

D) I saw something about using the plastic silverware holders from a dollar store. Putting filter floss behind the front holes to stop flow to the front/bottom of the tank and divert the flow through the back to the back od the tank. And filling the rest with bio media. Im not sure about this as it is an eye sore, takes up space in the tank and can be a heavy fall hazard to the tiny puffers?
20 gallon: Attempting live plants. AC 50. Small gravel substrate. Current LED Light + set on plant setting 8 hours daily. Driftwood and rainbow stone.

10 gallon: Aqueon Quiet flow 20. Blue pet store gravel. Crown tail betta (walmart rescue).
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Reducing flow from AC 50

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's odd... I have an AC 110 on my 20g & everything seems just fine in there. I do have a large piece of driftwood that disburses the flow.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
moh
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United States, Illinois

Post by moh »

Maybe Im just unlucky. But I have it on the low flow and its pushing current down to the bottom of the tank. I cant put plants anywhere in front of the filter as it just pushes them out.
20 gallon: Attempting live plants. AC 50. Small gravel substrate. Current LED Light + set on plant setting 8 hours daily. Driftwood and rainbow stone.

10 gallon: Aqueon Quiet flow 20. Blue pet store gravel. Crown tail betta (walmart rescue).
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

I always recommend a prefilter. Luckily the aquaclear from 20 to 50 uses the same size intake tube. The fluval prefilter are very cheap and great to have on hand. This will slow the flow slightly but not much. I find its odd as well that you have too much flow with this. As PP stated having decor to brake the flow up is a great option.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
pollypuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 c. travancoricus - Phat Ted and Regular Size Rudy
1 c. lorteti - Schmendrick the Magician
~RIP Large Marge~
Location (country): Canada

Post by pollypuff »

I have an aquaclear on my 20 gallon too. I used the plastic bottle baffle idea and its worked great! I have the filter on max and with the baffle the return is perfect. I had tried the sponge over the intake idea previously but found it got clogged with plant debris (stupid duckweed!) At the risk of being yelled at I only have an aquaclear 20 on my tank but it seems to do just fine. That being said I also use a turkey baster for spot clean ups after feeding :)