New Stuff! And a filter question.

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

New Stuff! And a filter question.

Post by Welch4 »

So i've bit the bullet and used my tax refund towards equipment i've been ogling for a while. The tank is a 40 long. Ive replaced 2 of my koralias with an mp40 on lagoon mode turned all the way down. I left the one koralia my gsp likes to play around but i've seen him start to like the mp40 so that may get removed this week. And on to the question.

This tank was one that was moved from brackish to marine. I still have my Ehiem G65 on it. I had been doing 50% or more weeklies. I just got the Remora ProS with a magdrive 5. This has been pulling out a TON of skimmate over the past week. According to the manual it has another week to break in. I just wanted to ask if there is there anything i should be cautious of when removing the canister? I will be modifying my hob refugium to hold the carbon, purigen, and phosbond that are in the canister. Additionally if I want to move the canister to one of the freshwater tanks, do i need to replace all of the media? Or just give everything a good rinse then seed with freshwater bacteria from an established filter?
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New Stuff! And a filter question.

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hmmm... that's a good question! I think I would just give it a good rinsing & restart the cycle.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Rinse rinse rinse, then soak it for a while in a tub with plenty of water, then rinse and boom you are good to start cycling again.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

So the swap is done. That was ALOT of scrubbing. Its amazing how hard it is to take off nerite/turbo snail eggs. I have left the aquaclear 50 on the tank that just received the ehiem g65. Ill be taking water tests daily if not more frequently over the next two weeks. Once i'm sure the ehiem is seeded ill move the aquaclear to my SW tank to hold some carbon and purigen. The DP's are loving the spray bar. I may end up adding a small powerhead to their tank since they seem to like the flow so much.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

In case anyone wants to do this again, to make life easier, use a 50/50 vinegar/RODI soak. It takes the salt off, helps dissolve any calcium carbonate from the shells of the snails, and is a great bactericidal mix. Soak, rinse, repeat until clean, air dry. Try to keep rubber seals out of the mix and any foam pads that are in the canister need to be replaced.

With a 40 long be careful with the MP40. That moves a ton of water and can really stress the seams. I've actually seen a MP40 with an auto tuned wave at 50% blow the seam of a 75 gallon 48" long reef ready tank. It was a fairly new tank too. Take a look at the calculator to see how much flow you're pushing and the recommendations for that tank, it's set up for the new quiet drives so the flow force is a little higher but you'll get the picture.

http://ecotechmarine.com/calculator/
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Thats a great link. Although I did know the mp40 is overpowered for my setup. According to the link the 40 its just outside of the optimal range. I have had to move some corals around but they seem to be adjusting nicely. I got the Mp40 because i intend of upgrading the tank within the next year or so. I guess what is confusing me about this filter swap/removal is after taking the canister off the temp in my tank has gone up 2 degrees. I have two digital thermometers at each end of the tank. Its always been on the high end, 82, but never fluctuates more than 1/2 a degree throughout the day/night. Now i am looking a 84.5 and have to look into some cooling options . . . weird.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Well the temp has gone up another degree. I now have my canopies open, my window open, and my fuge light off. Hope this helps. I may have to resort to some ice cubes if this doesn't drop almost at 86F. Going to check if one of the pumps is possibly burning out.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

My guess is that the pump from the new skimmer is throwing off heat, mag drives are known for it. Through the canister you were moving water through tubing and through a large canister that allowed it to cool a bit. Now you are moving it through a skimmer and very little tubing. Try to get some surface agitation, that may cause some cooling.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

I moved my koralia closer to the surface. And it has made an improvement. The noise off the remora has me rethinking this setup. I'll be drawing up some plans to get rid of the bureau the tank is currently on and getting/making a true stand with a sump to hide the equipment, sound dampen, and allow me to run a reverse light cycle for the refugium (this is in my bedroom). Thank you for all the advice.