Powerhead for Water Change - What do you use?

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Powerhead for Water Change - What do you use?

Post by Iliveinazoo »

I'm slowly inching forward in finding a position for my new larger tank to the point that I am thinking water changes. I understand that a lot of people use powerheads and I'm wondering what is the most popular.

Does anyone know if there are any available that can be connected to a standard garden hose (internal diameter of hose is 13mm/ 1/2 inch)?

Does anybody use in-line valves in their canister filter pipework to pump water out?
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: Powerhead for Water Change - What do you use?

Post by Welch4 »

I use an Aqua-Supreme Submersible Pump 725gph. This is for my saltwater tank so it lives happily in a brute barrel in my closet behind my tank. I have about 8 feet of tubing attached. When mixing and heating i have it on full blast. When i go to fill i turn it to its lowest setting a fill my tank. I have this on a footswitch which helps alot. A pool cover pump should have a regular garden hose attachment..
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I use the pump that came with a cheap skimmer, the brand was boyu or something. Terrible skimmer but the pump is ace, was about £38 pound I believe and hose fits to the pump
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Alleycat
Puffer Fry
Location (country): S.W. Ohio

Post by Alleycat »

I use an old Penguin model that's obsolete... it's old but keeps on going. I use it to drain my ponds outside in the fall, and from my water barrels into the house in the summer. I'd be lost without it
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Thanks everyone. I've been looking at self-priming in-line pumps but they are either ridiculously expensive or pump a miniscule amount of water. I even looked at pond vacuums but they are also expensive and would probably suck up the fish given the GPH rates :shock:

Think I'll look for a powerhead with a 13mm outlet and then probably fit isolation valves on both sides of the hose.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

I missed the second half of the question. Unless you are using the old tank water for something, you cant get any better than the python for draining. It also makes filling any water-change barrels a breeze. One accessory i highly recommend is the brass quick disconnect adapter. The only issues i've heard people having with the python is the body cracking due to repeated over tightening. With the quick disconnect you attach the fitting to the siphon and the sleeve to the sink once and they never need to be removed.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Welch4 wrote:I missed the second half of the question. Unless you are using the old tank water for something, you cant get any better than the python for draining. It also makes filling any water-change barrels a breeze. One accessory i highly recommend is the brass quick disconnect adapter. The only issues i've heard people having with the python is the body cracking due to repeated over tightening. With the quick disconnect you attach the fitting to the siphon and the sleeve to the sink once and they never need to be removed.
Thanks Welch4. I had a look for Pythons online but they seem to need a screwed connection to a tap? The amount my other half spent on taps I wouldn't like to do anything to them, not even slip a push connection over them!...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I use the tap in my basement & have a 100' hose to bring the water upstairs.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"