New impeller making noise already

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
dvwang
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP
Location (country): United States

New impeller making noise already

Post by dvwang »

Hi,

Just got a new impeller to replace the old broken one. It's been less than a week and the Tetra Whisper 60g filter has already started making that humming noise and overflowing with water out of the tube, making that waterfall sound. I've read about not changing the filter media (the white mesh bag that holds the carbon) until it breaks apart, to keep the nitrifying bacteria colonies? How often should I change that, and how often to replace the carbon inside of it? I suspect, after reading some threads, that my filter media may be clogged, causing the overflow and my nitrate level to be existence immediately after I did a 100% water change (due to relocating the tank). What about the new impeller that's making the noise? It's been a headache trying to figure out what's causing the noise.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New impeller making noise already

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's a totally crap filter. Bite the bullet & get an Aquaclear. MUCH better filter! You can reuse the media sponge over & over (I have some that are 20 years old) & stack the filter box with floss (to polish the water crystal clear) & BioMax, for extra biological filtration.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

I've heard that some people put vasaline on the impeller
dvwang
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP

Post by dvwang »

Pufferpunk, I currently have a 55 g nano tank with 2 tetra whisper 60 power filters. If I get an aquaclear, do you think I should get 2 Aquaclear 30's, 2 Aquaclear 50's, or 1 Aquaclear 70?

Arny, I had tried the oiling method. Unfortunately that didnt fix it, which was understandable since I had the impeller for over 2 years.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.

Post by Hillehaus »

To chime in (a bit late, as always). I recently replaced a whisper filter (which I thought was nice and quiet) with an AquaClear of the same filtering capacity. What I thought was quiet was apparently a jet turbine when compared to the Aquaclear. AquaClear filters are way quieter than Whispers, and easier to clean as well.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I do not consider a 55g to be a nano. I have an AC 70 on my 20g! I'd add a 2nd AC 70 to a 55g. Do NOT add anything like oil or vaseline to your tank! It can kill your fish. :/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"