Fluval 305 filter cleaning

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Fluval 305 filter cleaning

Post by G S P Freak »

Ok my question is quite simple, but I wanted an opinion from the pros... How often should I clean the sponge filter pads on my fluval 305? Currently my tank holds a 1.5-2" f8 and 2 bbgs, and for plants, 1 anubias, 1 java fern, and 4 nano-marimo moss balls (.5" diameter). I've not yet done a cleaning for the pads, because they don't looks 'soiled' to me, but it's been almost 3 weeks since the tanks been set up. I'm diligent with trying not to feed too much, but my puffer is messy, as all puffers are. I vacuum siphon the tank during PWCs and I realized just how much junk is actually on the bottom... So any advice?

Also... back to puffer feeding, I feed my puffer a piece of shrimp about half the size of your pinky fingernail every day, skipping one or two days every week, and he looks pot-bellied after feeding, so am I feeding him too much? Doesn't sound like a lot for his size. Should I continue the current feeding amount or cut down on the feeding?
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Re: Fluval 305 filter cleaning

Post by JRC3 »

About every three months for my filters. But your setup may vary.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

I clean mine if I notice that flow is significantly reduced or if I notice more algae than usual - these two indicators usually go hand in hand. I can't believe you still have BBG's in that tank because the fluval inlet is massive; my 305 sucked up all but 1 of my BBG's the night I added them
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

Thanks guys. Lol idk about your bbgs but mine are decent swimmers. Anywhere the currents too strong they stay down low. I also made some caves in the corners where they can chill away from the current, each bbg has established its own cave territory so far lol. My Fluval 305 produces alot of current but doesnt seem to harm my fish... Ima check its gph later. As for the intake, they seem to steer clear of it because the current pulling in makes them wary/nervous. I like them, they seem pretty smart to me.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Worst case just buy one of the older style 305/405 inlet strainers, or one for a 304/404.

A healthy fish should normally do fine though keeping itself away from the inlet...That is nless it has kuhli in it's name. LOL
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
Meisterkiyoh
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA, Maryland

Post by Meisterkiyoh »

my puffer got curious and got sucked into mine and puffed up. all I saw was a giant white ball sticking out of my inlet. he stays from from it now though.