Hydor Koralia Evolution Pumps

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Hydor Koralia Evolution Pumps

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

I do currently have two powerhead in my tank but am wanting to change over to the Koralias after doing a bit of reading. I'm just not sure which models to get. I was debating between two of the 750's, two of the 1050's, or maybe even one of each.

Its a 60 gallon tank. I do not have any corals yet but would like to have a few down the road like mushrooms, zoas, and similar.

So which models should I be looking at to have enough flow over the rock and to rid of any dead spots?
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Re: Hydor Koralia Evolution Pumps

Post by Tim »

10-20 Times the tank volume per hour is what you should be aiming for. With corals it supposedly it should be closer to 20 and with SPS corals higher still, somewhere nearing 40. Shaping the flow in the tank is a skill set on its own, you would have to test this via placement and see what happens, or so I think :lol:.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Post by Tim »

Double
Last edited by Tim on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Tim wrote:10-20 Times the tank volume per hour is what you should be aiming for. With corals it supposedly it should be closer to 20 and with SPS corals higher still, somewhere nearing 40. Shaping the flow in the tank is a skill set on its own, you would have to test this via placement and see what happens, or so I think :lol:.
I'm looking at the GPH right?

Right now I have two of the Maxi-Jet pro 900s which rate 1000GPH according to their information and my tank is a 60gallon. I'm just not really sure if it is enough.But so long as I did my math right thats 33 with the tank volume per hour. Also, when I purchased them I didn't think I'd be doing corals but after doing more research and seeing a bare tank I'd like to give some a try. I know I won't be doing any SPS as I am pretty sure I won't have high enough lighting for them, which is fine. I know I would like to try mushrooms, zoas, maybe xenia, and I'd also like either a frogspawn, torch, or hammer.

I also keep second guessing my placement lol. Having a hard time figuring out where is best to eliminate dead spots, create flow over rock, and not kick up any sand.

The Maxi-Jets are working just fine but they are also the only ones I have any experience with. I just keep reading good things about the koralias including it having a wider flow pattern which I thought could be beneficial.