any ideas on how to build a glass or plexi aquarium?

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

any ideas on how to build a glass or plexi aquarium?

Post by defool89 »

My subject title says it all, any ideas on how to glue or stick together glass to make your own? .. aquariums are expensive but the cost to make must be way less... any expirience out there to share?
You have the right to bear Puffers.
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Re: any ideas on how to build a glass or plexi aquarium?

Post by Master of Puffers »

depending on the size, procuring the correct the gauge glass could be a problem.

My local glass-cutter doesn't generally deal with aquarium quality glass. And while he's prepared to do a special order, the cost of the glass is a definate consideration. My local hardware shops deal only in window glass.

I've never tried to buy plexi except for thin sheets for covering tvs and the like.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

defool89 wrote:My subject title says it all, any ideas on how to glue or stick together glass to make your own? .. aquariums are expensive but the cost to make must be way less... any expirience out there to share?
what size aquarium?
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

eieio wrote:
defool89 wrote:My subject title says it all, any ideas on how to glue or stick together glass to make your own? .. aquariums are expensive but the cost to make must be way less... any expirience out there to share?
what size aquarium?
125 gallon aquarium with at least 18" turning room
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Check out second hand tanks, for a size like that it should be cheaper and less stressful. It is over here anyway.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

I only buy second hand.... a decent 125g is 700 -900 dollars with canopy lighting and stand....that would be 560 pounds for you i think. Doesn't seem stress full for me. More like a good project
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Post by Tim »

125Gallons or so is still within the range of mass produced aquariums, so I doubt homebuilt full glass / acrylic is cheaper. If you make it out of plywood with a single display side of glass then it might be cheaper but I have no idea about the cost of the right epoxy and fibreglass.

I am currently contemplating building my own aquarium as well but only because I want a nonstandard size, and even then it seems it might end up cheaper having it built for me :lol:. I haven't asked yet about the cost of adding a builtin overflow.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

I just don't believe that the cost of building 1 is the same price as 1 that you buy at the store all I know is that you need 5 pieces of glass and some adhesive but what I don't know is the kind of adhesive or silicone and the kind of glass as there is many out there I'm sure the local Home Depot can cut your glass. But I don't know if you can buy it there as well at least the correct kind of glass that wouldn't burst under the pressure of 125 gallons of water. I'm only interested in making a freshwater tank and if all goes well in the future potentially sell them as well
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Post by Master of Puffers »

I just bought a 220gallon(US) tank with stand, hood, filter and heaters for $200 Cdn. Guess it's a location thing.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

defool89 wrote:I just don't believe that the cost of building 1 is the same price as 1 that you buy at the store all I know is that you need 5 pieces of glass and some adhesive but what I don't know is the kind of adhesive or silicone and the kind of glass as there is many out there I'm sure the local Home Depot can cut your glass. But I don't know if you can buy it there as well at least the correct kind of glass that wouldn't burst under the pressure of 125 gallons of water. I'm only interested in making a freshwater tank and if all goes well in the future potentially sell them as well
Buying bulk especially as a manufacturer is very cheap generally, where as we pay premium for the right glass.

In any case for a glass aquarium you need silicon that contains no toxins, it should say "safe for aquariums" or something along those lines. And for acrylic aquariums I think you use WeldOn 4. I suggest you google on "diy glass aquarium" or substitute glass with acrylic if you want to build an acrylic tank. There are a lot of articles out there on this subject.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

defool89 wrote:I only buy second hand.... a decent 125g is 700 -900 dollars with canopy lighting and stand....that would be 560 pounds for you i think. Doesn't seem stress full for me. More like a good project
Wow tanks are expensive over there. You can pick up secondhand 4, 5 or 6 foot tanks over here for £50- £100. Recently there was an 8x4x4 tank going with custom hood, stand, 2x fx5s etc for £300. I was tempted to buy it and put it in storage but I got that look from my wife, you know the look that could quite possibly result in divorce if I don't do as I am told lol.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

bertie 83 wrote:Recently there was an 8x4x4 tank going with custom hood, stand, 2x fx5s etc for £300. I was tempted to buy it and put it in storage but I got that look from my wife, you know the look that could quite possibly result in divorce if I don't do as I am told lol.
My wife usually gives me the :roll: when I drag in more aquarium related things. Though we don't have the space for gigantic aquariums :lol:. That's probably saving my hiney.