Powerheads

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Powerheads

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

I have two Maxi-jet 900 pro water pumps to be used for circulation in my 60 gallon that is under construction. I also bought just a simple/cheap powerhead to use for mixing water for water changes. The two maxi-jets are placed on opposite sides of my tank already as I used them for mixing the water, only about 30 gallons for now, to have it ready for when the rock arrives. Since I am new to all of this I am unsure of how exactly I need to have these powerheads set up for the best circulation in the tank. I assume one on each side but don't know any more than that. I thought that there needed to be flow over the rock and also surface agitation, which leaves me a little stumped on how to place the powerheads in the tank.

So how am I supposed to know the powerheads are in the best positions possible? Suggestions as for placement? Also, will those two be all I'll need for 60 gallon?

There will be 50lbs of live rock and 25lbs of base rock.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Powerheads

Post by bertie 83 »

2 should be ok I think. If they are positioned low pointing up slightly you will get some surface agitation. Also positioning high pointing down slightly causes agitation, this should also flow well over the live rock
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Of course it may require some fine tuning/ movements for optimum flow. Pop them in an have a blast to see where you are at currently, obviously the live/ base rock will illiminate some flow rate.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Thanks for the reply.

I can see how it will be at least somewhat easier to know where to place them once I actually have the rock in there but I am afraid I won't place them in the best place and cause some sort of problem. With the tank being bare right now all I'm going by is what flow I feel and I know I won't pick up on it as well as fish or anything would. I was beginning to wonder if the powerheads I purchased were going to be strong enough. I sure hope so..

Just wondering how I'm supposed to create surface agitation, have flow over the rock, and then behind as well to prevent any build up. Seems like a lot of flow needed.
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

I think you want to try to get 1,200-1,400 gph (gal per hour) for powerheads in a tank of 60 gallons. Someone may correct me. I don't think you need to worry too much, unless you're doing a reef tank, which your not with a GSP, right? So, if you have a 60 gal tank, you want your powerhead rated somewhere around 1,200-1,400 gph. With 2 they could each be less, but equal around that.

I bought 2 used powerheads for my 68 gallon, one is 1,200 gph, the other is 850gph (I think,can't remember). With 2 filters running in addition to that, it seems like enough water movement.

gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

PufferMe! wrote:I think you want to try to get 1,200-1,400 gph (gal per hour) for powerheads in a tank of 60 gallons. Someone may correct me. I don't think you need to worry too much, unless you're doing a reef tank, which your not with a GSP, right? So, if you have a 60 gal tank, you want your powerhead rated somewhere around 1,200-1,400 gph. With 2 they could each be less, but equal around that.

I bought 2 used powerheads for my 68 gallon, one is 1,200 gph, the other is 850gph (I think,can't remember). With 2 filters running in addition to that, it seems like enough water movement.

gwen
No, no reef tank just FOWLR. This is the info on the powerheads, copy and pasted from Dr. Fosters and Smith website where I ordered the two powerheads.

Max gph Max Head
Model Powehead Circulation Utility Watts
400 110 500 3.0 ft 5
600 160 750 3.5 ft 8
900 230 1000 4.0 ft 10
1200 295 1300 6.0 ft 20

I have two of the 900 models.

And here is the link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... =237601200
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

I think you have plenty of water movement with 2 900's :)

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus