T5HO lighting

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
Radioactive
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Canthigaster solandri
Location (country): NY USA

T5HO lighting

Post by Radioactive »

Just wanted to know what people thought of this light http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4x24 ... /52303.htm . This would be for my 29 Gallon brackish setup with 1F8 and 4 BBG's. Would this be too much light for my puffers eyes? I want to start trying different plants in my tank and was looking for good lighting. My anacharis are nice but I really want to try new stuff. Thanks for any input.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: T5HO lighting

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have T5s over my reef tank. IMO, it's overkill for anything else but it does bring out nice colors. Bulbs are pretty $$$ to replace, compared with regular fluorescents. I'm glad to see it comes with bulbs.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Radioactive
Puffer Fry

Post by Radioactive »

Yeah for the money and what I have read about them its a good light. My biggest concern is if it is too much watts per gallon on my 29. I am still looking into it but am so inspired by japanese style aquascaping. I know as a beginner with freshwater plants I wont come close to what some of those guys acomplish but for many plants it seems more lighting is better. My first goal and what I am currently looking into is growing some kind of carpetting plant. I have my homemade structure that I built from slate tile (sanded down) that is a bunch of small caves. This along with my large peiece of malaysian driftwood would look amazing covered in a bright green mosslike plant.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Post by Tim »

I have this exact same one at home :). I quite like it, though I haven't used the LEDs yet, since I dont have a scaredy cat puffer anymore that is afraid of the dark. I think these are well worth it, I did replace the blue lights with ones good for plants as the one I bought was setup for marine aquariums and my tank is freshwater atm.

Still can't get myself to put a new puffer in the tank :(. It's just a few amano shrimp & otocinclus to keep the tank clean.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
Radioactive
Puffer Fry

Post by Radioactive »

Thanks for the reply. May I ask how long you have had the light for? Do you find it at all loud?
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Post by Tim »

Radioactive wrote:Thanks for the reply. May I ask how long you have had the light for? Do you find it at all loud?
hmm don't know how long I've had them for, 2 months maybe? I originally got them for my GSP because of the blue LEDs, the gsp was afraid of the dark :lol:. But he decided to jump out right before I got them.

It doesn't seem to make any noise if that is what you are wondering about, though in fairness I do have 3 computers running day & night in the same area and my workstation is far from quiet due to the videocards.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I have to agree w/PP. T5HO is way overkill for BW. Most puffers are not candidates for Amano-style tanks, and BW is going to be a nightmare. Can you say algae heaven? Not in my BW fish tanks, not ever for puffers.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

With that amount of lighting you would need CO2 injection and a strict and heavy fert. regime. CO2 injection does not lend itself to Brackish since it lowers PH and what you want is hard alkaline conditions. You could always get a surface plant like Ceratopteris Thalactroides (spelling?) to provide plenty of cover but then you would have to ask yourself why you were paying the electricity bill for a lighting unit that you're effectively blotting out.

There are plenty of Brackish tolerant plants that will grow with 1.5-2W/(US)G.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

RTR wrote:I have to agree w/PP. T5HO is way overkill for BW. Most puffers are not candidates for Amano-style tanks, and BW is going to be a nightmare. Can you say algae heaven? Not in my BW fish tanks, not ever for puffers.
Yes, I am using an old reef tank for my GF & it has that light on it. I have to dose with Flourish, to keep the algae at bay. Yhe colors of the GF really pop though!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

RTR wrote:I have to agree w/PP. T5HO is way overkill for BW. Most puffers are not candidates for Amano-style tanks, and BW is going to be a nightmare. Can you say algae heaven? Not in my BW fish tanks, not ever for puffers.
Yes, I am using an old reef tank for my GF & it has that light on it. I have to dose with Flourish, to keep the algae at bay. The colors of the GF really pop though!

Radioactive
Puffer Fry

Post by Radioactive »

Thanks for the input guys and gals. Algae was certainly a concern. I will keep looking into other options. Thanks