My new fuzzy dwarf lion!

Look! A section for non-puffer and/or non-aquarium photos! Oh joy!
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Re: My new fuzzy dwarf lion!

Post by J-P »

check the asian markets
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)
Location (country): USA

Post by kcartwright856 »

LongGrain wrote:hey thanks, its actually dry rock thats slowly starting to color up with pink/purple/greens. I'm not balling enough to afford 60lb's of live rock, so I have one good sized chunk of bali rock in there to seed 50lbs of marco rocks key largo dry rock. the tank has been going strong for 4 months or so now and the rocks are really starting to look nice, I can see new growth daily pretty much.
How does it color up? It looks stunning against the tan of the rocks. I guess I don't notice it in other SW tank photos because the rocks are another color?
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

Post by LongGrain »

kcartwright856 wrote:
LongGrain wrote:hey thanks, its actually dry rock thats slowly starting to color up with pink/purple/greens. I'm not balling enough to afford 60lb's of live rock, so I have one good sized chunk of bali rock in there to seed 50lbs of marco rocks key largo dry rock. the tank has been going strong for 4 months or so now and the rocks are really starting to look nice, I can see new growth daily pretty much.
How does it color up? It looks stunning against the tan of the rocks. I guess I don't notice it in other SW tank photos because the rocks are another color?
when you look at other saltwater tanks, the rocks are a different color because they are completely covered in different types of coraline algae. Most people buy live rock like this, which is very expensive. Instead of doing that I bought dry rock (dead live rock from ancient reefs) and seeded it with a chunk of real live rock so that eventually it will all be like the live rock you see in other saltwater tanks. Currently I just have some splotches of bright red and some pink and green scattered, when I first set the tank up the rocks were all white.
Last edited by LongGrain on Tue May 01, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

LongGrain wrote:he used to eat saltwater mollies when I first got him, it took me about a week to get him to eat krill, so thats what he eats most of the time, always soaked in vita-chem. I'm currently trying to find a local supermarket where I can get some uncooked clams/squid/etc to give him more variety, but all I've been able to find is pre steamed or cooked seafood.

That cool that you got yours to eat krill and such because mine was just impossible. I did get a 4" Volitan lion eat pellet food once but the rest of my lions would turn anything down if it was not alive.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

Post by LongGrain »

my dude wasn't even picky at all. when i went to ween him onto frozen, i prepared for battle with a feeding stick, tongs, fishing line, etc. expecting a difficult time. I looped a piece of krill into some fishing line to try to dangle in front of him, but he ended up pretty much jumping out of the water for it before I could even get it in there. ever since I just toss one in at a time and he goes for it every time.