check out my pictus cat!!!

Look! A section for non-puffer and/or non-aquarium photos! Oh joy!
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Puffers:
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras
Location (country): under a bridge ontario, canada

Re: check out my pictus cat!!!

Post by DrKennethNoisewater »

Pufferpunk wrote:I would be VERY careful using any ich med on a scaleless fish. Why not use the salt method?
i know im really REALLY worried. i do not want to lose a fish. ive been doing constant water changes, a bit of salt, and a tiny amount of ich meds. i also have plants and snails that the ich meds will hit hard. the last thing i want is another death in the family. we just had an unhealthy batch of kittens and two died.
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

Aww that's awful :( I'm sorry to hear that!

I've had success with herbal ich attack, it's brown and stinky and it's safe for anything sensitive. But the most important thing is that it worked too. This was in a heavily planted tank with snails. All of the fish recovered with no losses.
I was really suspicious of it working, but I couldn't use salt or chemicals because of the plants, and I was afraid of how the plecos would deal with the salt.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

A bit of salt will not do. Use 1 tbsp/10g. If you use a med at a lower dosage than recommended, the pathogen will become immune to the med, when you may really need it.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras

sevenyearnight wrote:Aww that's awful :( I'm sorry to hear that!

I've had success with herbal ich attack, it's brown and stinky and it's safe for anything sensitive. But the most important thing is that it worked too. This was in a heavily planted tank with snails. All of the fish recovered with no losses.
I was really suspicious of it working, but I couldn't use salt or chemicals because of the plants, and I was afraid of how the plecos would deal with the salt.
hmmm that sounds like a reasonable option than!!! but ive never heard of anyone else using this stuff, or even heard of it to be honest... anyone else have any luck with the stuff???? it has gotten slightly worse in the last few days. havent been home. very poor timing as im dealing with my sisters wedding right now :(
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

If you can use salt, then go that route, like if you can remove the plants. I think Srkoe has also used the brown stinky stuff.
ittybitty
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New Hampshire

Post by ittybitty »

weve always had really good luck with ICH Guard 2, its never harmed any of our loaches, puffers, snails or catfish.....cant say anything for the plants though....(we dont have any real ones, lol)
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras

alright thanks for all the input. im definitely looking into all of the options. i may be too far gone with the salt and heat method now. im doing constant water changes (every day about 30 percent) and really hoping it kind of works itself through as i add very small amounts of ich treatment and salt. i dont really have anywhere else to put my plants as my gsp tank is brackish. also the snails would be affected by the salt. should i give up on the salt???
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

Be careful with the heat, ich attacks the gills primarily and heated water holds less oxygen, they may not be able to get enough oxygen and pass on.
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

I've used the heat and salt method in planted tanks without any harm to the plants. If we have ich again then that's what I'll be doing with no worry about my plants. I just did this a few weeks ago with a discus that was breathing heavily. Treating for ich even though there were no external signs was one of our attempts to get him healthy.

If you're worried about oxygen content then you can increase surface movement or add an airstone.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin